Thursday, November 19, 2015

Grateful

 Today is my wedding anniversary. I have been married to the same wonderful women for thirty one years now. I'm sixty two so I have been married to her half of my life. Two thirds of that life is my adult life, although she may disagree, and with good cause. We have come a long way together and have a long way to go. Whatever trials and tribulations we have endured have prepared us to continue the journey. Those things have not weakened our bond, but strengthened them. Yes there were times we faltered, but we never failed. The will to endure is enforced by love. Love is a mysterious force that works for good. In her, I have found love.
 People will say " I can't imagine life without you " and other sentiments of that nature. I have never tried. I have had to face the possibility of being without her, due to my own faults, and that was most unpleasant. My only thoughts then where how to make amends. Last year at this time we were both faced with a medical issue that also brought that possibility to the forefront of our thinking. We both refuse to accept that. My wife persevered and through rehabilitation and sheer force of will has made a remarkable recovery. It was a lesson in life, how fragile it really is and how quickly circumstance can change. A lesson in appreciation.
 We really don't celebrate the day in the traditional sense of celebrations. No party, no cake, no big hoopla. It is an observance only. When the intent is forever, a year seems like a short time to make a big deal over. Some say that marriage is work, I would have to disagree. If you have to work at it, you're doing something wrong. The only thing you should have to work on is your own mistakes. That is because if you truly love the other person, forgiveness is easy. A false love makes a poor bond. It is not a matter of surrender, but of cooperation. It takes two to make a marriage. I am very fortunate to have found my partner in this journey called life. We have walked the same path for thirty one years now, no one carrying the other, but matching each other step for step. I am grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment