Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Knowing the players

 It was a normal day at the store, although a bit slower than most times. I happened to be at the front while an elderly lady was speaking to a co-worker. After she finished her conversation with my co-worker she looks directly at me and says, " did you know that Scotty had a heart attack ? " I had to admit that I did not. I offered my sympathy and she left the store. What was amusing is that I have no idea who Scotty is. I wonder why she thought I would know. Was it because I was close to her age group and the age of my co-worker ? Did she assume that I grew up in Greensboro and therefore would know Scotty. I do wish Scotty a speedy recovery. I asked my co-worker about Scotty and got the low down. Scotty as it turns out is half brother to a prominent business owner here in Greensboro. The relationship was explained, complete with the small town gossip. That is when it came to me, I don't know all the players. That was the only explanation I could offer for this ignorance.
 I thought some more about that as the day passed. Greensboro is a small town much like the one I was raised in. Everyone knows everyone else and thinks they know their business. Gossip is taken as fact. You know it is true because you  heard it from your first cousins' brother in law on your mothers' side. Well he was until they got divorced. But, you knew it was completely reliable information. When you reach senior citizen status and have lived in that small town all your life you know all the players. That is what I'm talking about. For some reason this lady thought I was one of the players. Ha, only time in my life that has happened to me.
 Now I have lived in Greensboro for over twenty years and so have become somewhat acquainted with the primary players, those that play the lead role so to speak. Their surnames run throughout the town in social and political circles. Old families with old money and ties. Many are related either by marriage or heritage. Their " stories " are always the juiciest and fodder for the gossips. We delight, we of the lower classes, in watching their tribulations. Makes us feel somehow just a bit superior to them. It is a measure of justice in an offhand sort of way. They are people too ! Their social strata is no barrier to misfortune. I am beginning to gain an understanding of the secondary players, the cast if you will. The cast does contain some that have fallen from their lofty perch and others that aspire to that perch. I am starting to place them in their respective roles. One does have to learn the back story before the real enjoyment of that story can be appreciated. Oh the irony that can be observed to one that is attentive. I have the advantage of being unbiased in my observations, not having any connections to the players. It is much like watching a play unfold before you. I'm just an extra in this play. My son, until his recent loss in his bid to become Mayor, was a commissioner here. My role was simply, his father. I was active in the historical society a while back but that participation has waned. No particular reason for that.
 I believe it is this knowing of the players, and keeping the scorecard that makes a place home. The more closely informed you are, the more intimate the place becomes. This would hold true in small towns as well as the big cities. The only difference being in large cities it is neighborhoods. Being very familiar with the " set " is another factor. Knowing all the little places, the secluded areas as well as the main stage. In all of this I am just an understudy. I really do not have a desire to enter the main stage. I am content. I am prepared should I be called, that is my duty, but have no desire to take the lead. That Shakespeare fella was onto something when he said, " all the worlds' a stage. " All you need to know is what " playhouse " you are in. Oh, and a playbill is helpful.
 Isn't it something how our minds work ? One little statement and I was sent off. I feel like I should have known who Scotty is. Why should I feel that way ? And my immediate excuse is, I wasn't born and raised here. I have been here for twenty plus years. Perhaps I have remained more reclusive that I think. I have been known to complain that the natives are not very welcoming, is that warranted ? Maybe it is just a failure on my part. Instead of complaining perhaps I should " take the stage. " Instead of waiting for my character to be written into the plot, I should inject it. Then the story changes. You can't expect a " curtain call " if you're not in the play.

No comments:

Post a Comment