Monday, November 2, 2015

Halloween cool

 This Halloween I noticed there were more fixed locations for going trick or treating. One was called " trunk and tailgating " were the cars and trucks were all parked in a safe location and the kids just went from one to the other. It is definitely a safer way to go. It makes me wonder if that is the way it will be in the future. Are the days of wandering the dark streets coming to an end ? That was part of the fun for me, this walking in the dark and being just a little bit afraid. You didn't know what to expect at each house.  Are we moving more to a " gated " Halloween experience ? As was observed by a friend of mine Halloween has also become more of an adult thing as well. Adult costume parties and " dressing " up at work. I also agree with my friends observation that these costumed characters at a place of business lends an air of unprofessionalism to the atmosphere. There are those that are deeply concerned with the Muslim people wearing their Burkas but wearing a Freddie Kruger costume at work is just fine ? Seems a bit hypocritical.
 I didn't hand out candy this year. I had no small children to take trick or treating and live in an upstairs apartment. So, I became the " Grinch " of Halloween this year. I barely looked outside between the appointed hours. I have heard reports of big crowds and others say the opposite. I saw no evidence of shaving cream or soaped windows. I guess those are activities of the past. There were popular when I was a child. Eggs were a popular thing too, but I never threw any of those. I do believe there was more talk of doing those things than actually took place. The Halloween legends. I believe it is like everything else it transforms over time. Halloween is a dangerous time now, more so than when I was a child. Ghosts and Goblins are becoming less frequently seen and pop culture icons are proliferating. Witches are taking a back seat to Zombies ! Well the whole Zombie thing is a year round deal now. Now that I think about it I haven't seen a mummy in a good while. I wonder where they are ?
 No Halloween isn't the same as when I was a kid. Not much is the same as when I was a kid. I'm not the same either ! The candy companies will do their best to keep this holiday alive, you can be assured of that. I have heard some mumbling and groaning about this celebration of all things ghoulish. In our " factual " world the origins of this holiday are being explored and taught. They are extensions of Pagan rituals. Yeah, so what ? I have always just viewed Halloween as a fun time to dress up and get free candy. As a child I never gave a thought to what it meant. To be honest I didn't care. If you start questioning the whole thing it falls apart. Hey, Santa Claus is real too and don't you doubt it for a minute, not unless you want socks for Christmas. To the kids that are trick or treating now the " trunk and treating " and other venues for them are the normal thing. It what they are growing up with. When they get to be my age they will blog about how much things have changed since they were a kid. No matter, my generation was the " coolest. " And that is my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment