Sunday, July 19, 2015

With this ring

 I had the privilege of attending a wedding yesterday. My niece Rosie was married at a place called, Angel Point, on an estate in Royal Oak, Maryland. A truly magical setting and the weather was glorious. Surely God was smiling, as was my brother Harold, watching from above. His spirit was in evidence to those of us that love him. Often you hear people say I loved, about the deceased, but that love doesn't die. That love lives on in our hearts and minds. And love was very much in attendance yesterday.
 I am not close, as they say, to my niece but have seen her over the years growing. I have watched all the kids grow. Rosie is the youngest of the nieces and nephews and the last to marry. To most of them I am only a story, an Uncle, those mysterious people, at least to children, that are brothers to their Mom's or Dad's. As if parents' had a childhood ! Uncles may drift in and out and can be a source of amusement or controversy. I dare say, I have been both on occasion. What stories may have been told of me I can't imagine, or would prefer not to.
 My brothers widow, Cindy, was radiant as well. Widow, what a word. A word that invokes sadness for a loss. The marriage of her youngest daughter was surely a bittersweet moment. No longer is she Rosie DeCristofaro, from hereafter she is Rosie Cavalier. I believe my brother Harold would have approved, he seems like a fine young gentleman. I will make an effort to make his acquaintance at the proper time.
 This marriage was a traditional marriage. A reverend conducted the service. Prayers and praise were offered and blessings bestowed. It was a double ring ceremony. The good reverend spoke at length on the meaning of love and marriage. It was heartwarming to hear the traditional vows and admonishments. The purpose of marriage was explained and it was reassuring. A centuries old tradition being repeated with solemn respect. Truly a wedding is a covenant between two people and God. The object is to become one ! One in spirit and one in love. A love to last for an eternity.



No comments:

Post a Comment