Friday, July 3, 2015

Opinion or fact

 Every once and a while I am moved to respond to a news story I read on my timeline. I don' know why I do as I am fully aware that I may receive negative replies to my comment and even be subjected to " name calling. " I don't believe anything I may write there will influence anyones opinion, so why bother ? It is a bit of a mystery to myself. I suppose it is just a venting of my own frustrations or an expression of approval. It is surprising to be replied to by total strangers. It is a reminder that the internet really is a voice to the world and one should be careful.
 I made such a comment yesterday and have received mostly positive responses. Most agreed with my opinion but there are a few dissenters. That is to be expected and everyone has been cordial, so far. I am open for discussion as long as it is done in a polite way. I do not wish to engage in name calling or speculation about your sexual preferences. Some seem to be fascinated with the later, although I can not see of what consequence it would be to them. But I digress. It does speak to my nature that I feel compelled to respond to those news stories and subsequent responses from strangers. I do find it difficult to remain passive and noncommittal in these situations. I have read over some of them and I admit I can sound a bit sanctimonious at times. I am not professing to be perfect but I do try to practice what I preach, the key word being " practice " as I make many mistakes. The internet is quick to point out any errors , real or imagined, that you may have made. Vast resources of quotes and references will be hurled your way. One can find evidence to support almost every claim imaginable.
 Most comments I write are nothing more than an opinion. They are my opinion, reached by me, based on my own set of facts and experiences. They are not a condemnation of humanity or any individual. I expect others will not always agree with my opinion. I attempt to use logic and facts to support my opinions. When we start to use opinion as a defense for opinion, the conversation quickly disintegrates. It is at that point I become silent, or at least try to. As I pointed out I am just practicing and so make mistakes. Your opinion will not change my opinion ! Facts may change it, and they should to a reasonable man. I have been known to cling to an opinion even in the face of facts to the contrary. That's my story and I'm sticking to it ! Trying to change opinion into fact is a bit of a magic trick, an illusion if you will. You can fool most of the people, but there is always someone that sees through the trick. It appears to me the latest " illusion " is to reinterpret well established words or documents to suit the current situation. Then present that interpretation as fact ! The old, I know what it says but what does it mean scenario. Really not a new trick but one that works most of the time. The examples are numerous. You can pick your own.
  Opinions, everyone has one. I enjoy the sharing of opinions and find it interesting to hear what others have concluded. The only problem with opinions is we feel obligated to defend them. I'm not quite certain why I feel I need to defend them but I do. Is it because of doubt ? That seems reasonable enough as I can't be one hundred percent certain of anything, can I ? So this defense of opinion is nothing more than me reaching the same conclusion that I have reached before. If that fails, I change my opinion. I'm the only one that can. New facts or new experiences are the only factors that can change opinions. When you are unwilling to accept either of those your opinion will remain the same. The question was, why do I feel compelled to offer my opinion ?  Having written this discussion I would have to conclude it is because I seek reaffirmation of my opinion,either by others, or by my defense. So I could say it is a questioning. I'll go with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment