Saturday, July 18, 2015

Just wondering

 The city of Baltimore is holding their annual " artscape " event. As the name implies this event is to showcase the local artists and their works. It is a street type affair but does include indoor displays as well. I have never personally attended and have little interest in doing so. I dislike crowds for the most part and the attraction has to overcome that objection. Artscape just won't do it.
 I did see some street performers on the morning news that are going to be a part of this event. They were being interviewed. One young lady was a hula hoop professional and the guy spun a hoop with fire on it. They said they do an act together, along with some additional troupe members. They are calling it " art " and I guess you could call it that. I think it is more like a circus act, but whatever. The interesting thing to me is, how do you become so obsessed with doing one thing ? I mean, just what would posses you to practice for hundreds of hours to become a hula hoop pro ? Seeing this young lady talking about it on television she is obviously still very excited about it. I would say, childlike, in her enthusiasm. The guy spinning fire hoops is the same way. I can admire their skill and dedication but fail to comprehend the motive. Why would you and why do you think it is art ?
 As I said, I admire their skill and dedication, I would not disparage that. It is just the commitment that I question. It is rather a mystery to me. It is something I both admire and dismiss as silly at times. I believe it has something to do with my personality. Personally I have found nothing that I can commit too wholeheartedly, except my wife and children. What I mean is, craft wise. I have always found I wind up getting bored with it. Once I obtain a reasonable degree of proficiency I move on. I move on sooner when I determine I'm just no good at something, like drawing. I'm a terrible artist and always will be, no talent there at all. I don't see it as I'm a quitter, just realistic in my expectations. The last few years I have tried my hand at this blog writing stuff. I enjoy it and have no plans to quit anytime soon, still, I'm not hoping to be a pro at it. Would be cool but not a realistic goal. But maybe that is why I continue. You can't fail at something you are not trying to do. Is it a self defense mechanism ? Could be. I do think that in order to be a success, you have to be the best. Yes, I require that validation from others. Is that what is missing ? Is that why I don't understand ? Those that do hula hoops and flaming fire rings apparently do not require that validation. That is how they were able to sustain that level of excitement and interest to become that proficient. At least that is my guess. For me I play a game to win. That is the goal, for others it is just fun. I just feel it is more fun to win ! Second place is still second place ! It is not much of an accomplishment if everyone wins. Maybe it is just the way I was raised, the time and place. Not every student got the gold star on their paper and there were winners and losers, not just participants. Well, I don't know I just wonder about these things.

No comments:

Post a Comment