Saturday, July 25, 2015

Who am I

 I try to remember each morning to post Good Morning on my facebook page. I started this practice a few years back half jokingly. I think my comment was something to the effect of, this is  a social network we should try to be more social. I get a good morning reply from a faithful few and it always makes me smile. In fact, now when I don't get a response from one of the " regulars " I notice it. I hope everything is alright.
 Yesterday I got a new response from an unfamiliar name. I got a " who are you " in the remarks section. At first I wasn't sure just how to answer that. After a little while I wrote something in there about being a cyber presence or some other nonsense. I did that for lack of a better response. Now I probably sound like some kind of wise guy ! I would prefer sounding sounding like a wise man, and I certainly don't want to come off as a jack, well you know what. The fact is that is a tough question, who are you. One of the best responses that came to mind is in the lyrics by Jessica Andrews to her song, Who I am. I especially like the line that says, " I am Rosemarys' granddaughter ". That simple statement strikes a chord within me for some reason. I think perhaps it is just the obvious pride with which she says it. As if everyone knows who Rosemary is. The rest of the song goes on with its' message of being a descendant of a great family and having friends that love and respect you, in truth who you are.
 I am no songwriter, although I dabble in poetry and they are similar. I do like what that young lady wrote.That is her perception of things and a very relatable perception it is. I wonder if I could do the same ? That is to say, answer that question. Who am I ?
 I am one of millions. Like all others, I am different. I react to the world around me and wish for inner peace. I am but a single voice. I have heard the words of my ancestors and repeat them often. Old words become new, a cycle repeated. Who am I ? I am what I choose to be. That is the world I live in, not sheltered from all the rest, rather a part of the whole. I am the caretaker of my soul. I am responsible for that. As to who I am, the answer changes with time. Today I am a philosopher and perhaps tomorrow the fool. When we were children we were asked what do you want to be when you grow up ? That question was always answered with an occupational choice. It is the choice after that one that defines us. At least in our own mind it does.

I am Rosemary's granddaughter
The spitting image of my father
And when the day is done my momma's still my biggest fan
Sometimes I'm clueless and I'm clumsy
But I've got friends that love me
And they know just where I stand
It's all a part of me
That's who I am

Jessica Andrews 

No comments:

Post a Comment