Monday, June 26, 2023

Equity or equitable?

 Are we free to pursue our dreams, or aren't we? That's the question I have. Listening to those talking about the loss of the Titan in a tragic accident the answer would have to be, not without government approval first. Is that how that is supposed to work? There will be no innovation, no experimentation, no risk taking without prior government approval! I'm guessing the, as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else argument, doesn't apply in this case. No one was forced aboard that submersible and all were well informed of the risk they were taking. Seems to me that was the freedom to choose. They paid for the ticket. Their choice. This experimental craft was made using carbon fiber and titanium. Engineers figured it would work and it did; fourteen times. A lesson learned. No laws were broken, no regulations ignored, it was just a man with a dream and enough money to try that. He wasn't building a weapon of mass destruction, or developing some virus like governments are prone to do. No, he was building a submersible to be used as a tourist attraction, of sorts. Not much different from space-x and their rocket flights. Not much different from Blue Origin. 
 Yes, there are risks involved with all of that. It was a risk to get in a covered wagon and head west, should the government have cleared the path first, made that as safe as possible? Should Evil Knievel have had government approval and oversight before any of his stunts? I just don't see the problem here. It was their choice to participate in a risky adventure. It certainly didn't have any adverse effects on me other than making me feel sad for the loss. As for the cost associated with search and rescue operations, I don't believe you should start charging for that? How much is a life worth? Are five lives worth more than one? When do you start and stop those operations? Currently that is the only part of this the government does control. Are we to examine your "ability to pay" before launching any attempt at rescue? Sorry your credit score is below 800, no looking for you. After all we can't get you to sign a loan agreement unless we find you and we might not, it's a bad risk. You should have purchased insurance for that! You know, just in case. 
 It's my feeling we already have far too much government control. I don't want to see innovation, experimentation or taking a risk being controlled by the government. If I'm willing to risk my life, without endangering anyone else in the process, I should certainly have that freedom. That should apply even if five people all agree to take that risk. Just as long as no one is being subjected to any risk without their knowledge, it should be good. As far as I'm concerned if I want to build my own house and it subsequently falls on my head that's my business! If I want to strap a pair of wings on my arms and jump off a cliff, my business. If I want to try to reach the Titanic in a discarded LP gas tank, my business. There have been attempts made to row across the oceans of the world, fly balloons around the world, swim across the English Channel and break the land speed record. Many died in their attempts and no cry for government control, no cry of, who is going to pay for this? But, hey this guy was a billionaire, his estate should pay because he can afford it. If you are poor, you get rescued for free. Now that's equitable! You can get a free Covid shot, along with a number of boosters, but if you get Covid that hospital bill is on you! Does your equity determine your equality? That's what I'm hearing anyway.  

No comments:

Post a Comment