Sunday, June 18, 2023

Celebrate and Commemorate

  It's Father's Day, and also on this day in 1812 Congress declared war on Great Britian and her allies. It wasn't until 1972 that Father's Day became an official holiday! Yes, it had been celebrated since 1910 but wasn't official until 1972! Mother's Day was made an official holiday in 1914. It's interesting to note that far more people will know it is Father's Day than it is the day the war of 1812 began. That war is often called the forgotten war. It lasted until February of 1815. Many will know the white house, which wasn't white at the time, was burned by the British and the Star-Spangled Banner was written by Key when the British were attacking Baltimore, Fort McHenry withstood the attack. Madison was president and his wife Dolley is credited with saving that famous painting of George Washington. Dolley did make and serve strawberry ice cream to her guests at the Executive Mansion. James Madison never had any children with Dolley but did adopt a son of Dolley from a previous marriage, so he was a father too. 
 Father's Day always falls on the third Sunday in June so it's just coincidence that it is on the 18th this year. It will be another eleven years before that happens again. Richard Nixon signed the legislation making Father's Day an official holiday. Nixon isn't remembered for that much but thanks Dick, I appreciate it. A man named John Wannamaker who was a pioneer in the department store business used his wealth and influence to aid a local woman to get Mother's Day recognized. That was in the city of brotherly love, Philadelphia. Today Wannamaker is known for having the world's largest, fully functional pipe organ in the world! It's the grand court of the department store. He was aware of the profit to be made. He was correct, turns out Mother's Day is very profitable, so is Father's Day. I suspect the sale of ties isn't what it used to be in past Father's Days, but #1 Dad tee shirts I'm certain sell very well indeed. Sentiment sells!
 I was born in 1953 and so Father's Day wasn't really a thing until I was nineteen years old. I don't recall we ever celebrated that at my house. I expect we made him a card or something but nothing more than that. As I recall Mother's Day was the same deal, a day to be remembered but not celebrated with any big parties or anything. Well, as I recall back in the sixties we didn't make a big deal out of a lot of things that they do today. Your birthday was a big deal, but lasted one day not the weekend, the week or the month! Christmas and Easter were big days along with the fourth of July and Memorial Day. We didn't have commemorative months! That didn't happen until 1976 with Gerald Ford declaring February Black history month. Since then, many more have been added! We sure do a lot of celebrating these days! It's my feeling that we have become focused on "recognizing" things as a means of reward rather than just enjoying the thing. Being a dad has been my honor and my privilege. My children are my gifts. I got far more than I deserve, so nothing more is necessary. That's how I view this holiday. 
 Father's Day and Mother's Day are a celebration of family. That's the way I think about that. Without Mom and Dad none of us would be here, yes, that is the simple reality. It takes two. Biology can create life today without any active participants in the act! But it still takes two to raise a child. The importance of having a father and mother cannot be denied, the data fully supports that. Without getting into any large discussion about all the possibilities, all the possible scenarios and all the exceptions to the rule, the data clearly shows that. It's been said that it takes a village to raise a child. That's true. The village will provide the father or mother if one is lacking or missing at home. Being a father is a responsibility. It is also the greatest reward. Did you know that June 11 was National Children's Day? It is celebrated on the second Sunday in June. I had never heard of that and so missed it this year. I'll surprise them next year! I'm betting they don't know about it either. 

No comments:

Post a Comment