Monday, August 8, 2022

a good thing

  Took a road trip to visit with my son and his family in Oneonta, New York. First trip in a while due to covid and all that. Covid wasn't stopping me but it sure made others nervous and so I refrained. I wasn't about to get vaccinated and masked up to visit those that were concerned. I respect their right to choose, and my answer was to just stay away. So anyway, we hit the road. Gas was down to four a gallon here in Greensboro, a real deal. Seemed like the time to go. GPS set on Oneonta, turn right in 500 feet and head north. 
  I'm not one that likes to stop much when traveling. I just want to get where I'm going with as little hassle as possible. I have to say I love that EZ-pass system and have been using that for a while. It sure is better than toll booths. I wonder what the toll takers are doing these days? Maybe they are the ones at Walmart watching the self-checkouts. I laugh at myself for thinking things like, don't drink any coffee before you leave or you'll have to use the bathroom, you can't be sure how far it will be till the next one unless you are on the interstate. Old people think like that. 
  We did stop at a rest area in New York state when we arrived there. It wasn't the first stop along the way but this one is memorable. I say memorable simply because I will remember the facility. Literally, the facilities themselves. You see, there were signs on the doors to the stalls, "toilets are not broken, they are waterless" in bold print. And yes, they certainly are. Just a ceramic bowl over a downpipe straight down, and yes, I looked. My very first thought was, I'm in Europe! That's because the last time I saw that arrangement was in European countries. The only thing different was in a number of those European facilities there was no bowl, just an open pipe with footprints strategically placed on either side, presumably to aid in lining up the shot. Felt like stepping back in time to me. Guess as an American I really am spoiled.
  I'm certain this is in an effort to save the planet and part of the new green deal. Yes, it's very progressive. I can't see where it is much different than an outhouse. The waste is transported to a treatment facility, so that much is different anyway, but the business end is pretty much the same. A ceramic bowl has replaced the wooden seat, that's about it. After doing my business I did notice some sort of foam being flushed down the sides, for odor control I would think. Without a drain trap that would be a necessity, unless a bag of lime was also provided. Guessing the sanitary engineers figured that out. All I could think was, we have progressed to fancy outhouses! Fortunately, they haven't taken out the sinks and running water to wash your hands with, although you do have to use hot air dryers, no paper towels. Not sure how progressive that is though, are they using solar power (green energy) to power those dryers? Somebody needs to look into that. 
  It's all very unsettling. Strange bathrooms are always upsetting and communal ones more so. There is the effort to not be too noisy on your part and noises coming from others. Now having been in the service I did develop a level of comfort with all that, but I've been retired for a while. And there is the height of the toilet. The standard height is 15 to 16 inches. There are at least eight different heights, however. At home I have the "chair" height or "comfort" height toilet. It is between 17 and 19 inches in height, I haven't measured it. You wouldn't think so at first, but you do notice the difference right away. It's unsettling. And you guys know all about those urinals that are now being placed about a foot off the floor for the young guys, sometimes they are the only ones and that is unsettling as well. The reason is obvious enough. 
  Beyond all the bathroom challenges I faced it was a very pleasant trip. I got to help cutting the grass and doing a little yard work. Time to talk and relax as well. Time spent with my son just like he was at home again. Yes, it was his home, but I didn't feel like I was company there and that's always a good thing. We even lit the charcoal grill. Charcoal is only used for special occasions these days, cost and all that. I get that rustic, I'm roughing it feeling, primeval even. Still, it is always good to be back home. Things are back to "normal" everything right on schedule. And that, that is a very good thing.      

No comments:

Post a Comment