Tuesday, March 1, 2022

are you Shriven?

 Today is Shrove Tuesday, also known as Fat Tuesday and more frequently in recent years as Pancake Tuesday. Each name moving further away from the original name and the intent of the day. Shrove came from an old word "shriving" which means to listen to someone's sins and forgive them. You would be "shriven." You needed to do that before the first day of Lent. Shrove Tuesday is always 47 days before Easter. During the period of Lent Christians would fast from certain foods, mostly the ones used in making pancakes so on Tuesday they used those items up. So, Fat Tuesday became another name. And Fat Tuesday in a French phrase is, Mardi Gras. We all know what Mardi Gras is all about. It sure doesn't have much to do with confessing our sins and getting forgiveness. 
 Pancake Tuesday is used in many European nations and is creeping its' way into America. More of a novelty thing in my opinion. I'm sure IHOP is a big fan of the holiday. 
 The Methodist church just up the street from my house will be having a pancake dinner, open to all, donations accepted but not required. In years past my granddaughter was a girl scout and their meetings were held in that church hall. The name of the hall is Wheatly hall. The troop would act as servers/waitresses and naturally we went in support of that. It has been a few years now, probably six or more, I don't want to think about that, but I remember going and the hall was filled with smoke. The windows and doors were opened, and the pancakes were grilling and flippin'. They also had sausage. It's a memory I will carry with me, and I find myself smiling about that. It's the whole picture, the smoke filled hall, my granddaughter "serving" and the community together. Small town America at its' finest.
 I did live in Louisianna for a couple years and attended Mardi Gras in New Orleans. It is everything you have ever heard about it and more. I had made friends with a native and so was shown the proper way. The lady was Shelia and she two children. When it was time to go to the parade she arrives in a cat suit! You are supposed to be in costume for the occasion. Her husband refused to come along, and I never inquired about that. I have a few faded photographs from that day and faded memories too! Some memories are so faded I don't remember at all! But that, that is Mardi Gras and it's about sin alright, but not about forgiveness. 
 I may go to the church this evening for the pancake dinner. It's something I consider every year. I will have pancakes, even if my wife just makes them for dinner tonight. I don't give up anything for Lent. My grandchildren used to do that and generally they succeeded. Old traditions carried forward that change slightly over time. When I was small shrove Tuesday wasn't really emphasized. At least I don't remember it being. Ash Wednesday, I remember, the Catholic kids all had those crosses on their foreheads and some of the teachers. I don't see that as much it seems, but I guess I'm just not paying attention either. I think the closest Catholic Church to me is twenty miles or so away. Guessing there aren't that many Catholics around these parts. Rural America I suppose.         

No comments:

Post a Comment