Tuesday, March 8, 2022

the season

 Saw some daffodils in bloom yesterday. The first ones this spring. There are buds on the trees. The grass will be greening up soon enough. We had a record high temperature yesterday as well. Bring on that global warming! I wait for that to happen every year, starting in February. Thoughts of fishing enter my head. I freely admit to being a fair-weather fisherman. I fish when it is warm, not raining, and in a comfortable spot. I fish to relax, hopefully catch a meal or two, and do not stress about any of that. I like to fish using night crawlers, a plain old sinker, and a spin casting reel. I only require a small tacklebox and a folding chair. That's about it. I seldom take a cooler or anything else. Nope, rod and reel, bait, tackle and a seat. That's it. 
 For the past few years I have been mowing the grass at my sons house and his neighbors too. His neighbor, Mr. Dill, is in his late eighties and I just couldn't allow him to cut that grass, although he certainly tried. Anyway, I assumed that responsibility and between my wife and I we got it done. Unfortunately Mr. Dill has moved to a senior living facility and his home is now for sale. We won't be mowing that grass anymore and we will feel a little sad about that. Strange isn't it? We will still mow the grass at my sons house, we both enjoy that and it gives us something to do. They both work so hard and long hours too. You have to when you have two kids in college and all that goes with that. 
 With the arrival of spring I feel like a new year has begun. I know what the calendar says but with the warmth comes a new year. I am coming out of hibernation. I was born in July. My biological clock started ticking with my conception,  most likely around Halloween 1952 but I didn't make an appearance till summertime. I think that is why I feel the year starts with the warm weather. I have lived down south where the weather stayed warm year round, I have to say I did miss the cold, for a few days, then I got over that. But it's a new season, and our lives are lived in seasons. When I was young, growing up where I did, the summer season was very important. It was then the merchants made enough money to carry them through the winter months. Life in a resort town is different, I think, than just living in small town America somewhere. It can get tiresome. I think even if you lived in Disneyland you would get tired of that after a while. The summer months were exhausting! 
 Well. I will be glad when I can leave the windows open and turn the heat off. I like seeing the birds, flowers and green grass. Not much changes here in Greensboro, other than the seasons. Oh, the traffic on the main highway will increase a bit but I simply avoid that. Those people are on their way to the beach, away from Greensboro, just passing through. We locals will complain about that traffic on Fridays and Sundays. Heading East and West, not unlike where I grew up in some ways. The people from the West heading to the Eastern shore, and returning to their homes on Sunday afternoons. Yeah, soon it will be, the season.     

No comments:

Post a Comment