Saturday, March 19, 2022

offended

  I often leave comments on Facebook postings. I do enjoy reading what others have to say, even when I don't agree with what is being said. I've always thought that's why people post things, to share and get a reaction. Yes, the sane people are hoping for a positive reaction while others are just attempting to incite. Now I've been accused of being contradictory at times and that's true, sometimes my response doesn't agree with what was posted. But I feel like it's' not a conversation, an exchange of ideas, if you just agree with everything. If you are looking for validation on social media, you will be disappointed. Well, your friends might provide that validation for you if they are close enough "friends" to know your personality. And I think that is the biggest roadblock on social media. Sarcasm doesn't work well, presenting facts to contradict others doesn't work well, and being brutally honest doesn't work well. All of those require the other person to understand your personality. Generally speaking, interpersonal contact requires personal contact. It is often the non-verbal signs that people "hear." 
 Just yesterday after leaving a comment I was told if I was "offended" I should just scroll on by. Okay, that's a valid response, good advice I suppose. Thing is, I wasn't "offended" I was merely leaving a comment, an alternative viewpoint. All this being offended is starting to offend me! Just because I don't agree doesn't mean I'm offended. What I heard that person saying was, if you don't agree with my post, don't say anything. Is that person's ego so fragile that any disagreement offends them? Yes, my feeling is that person was the one offended. I did apologize for offending them, although that wasn't my intent. Just offering some facts and an opinion based on those facts.
 It is something I have talked about in the past. Society in general has become more aggressive. I wonder if social media hasn't contributed to that. Habits are easily formed. It's a lot safer to be aggressive on social media than it is in person. I see that all the time with impolite remarks, name calling and on occasion, threats. But I wonder if some of that isn't being carried over into personal interactions, as a habit. It's what I would have typed in that block and out it comes! 
 I thought about that the first time I heard about "hate" crimes. I looked up the definition, the legal explanation of what a hate crime is. Basically, it speaks to motivation. A hate crime is committed by hate. So, we have now decided we can determine what your motivation is without you having to tell us. A crime is a crime does motivation really matter? Why have we decided the crime is worse if I hate you? Think about that for a minute. I'm thinking the sole purpose is to acknowledge your feelings. It's a form of agreement. Yes, that person may not like you and harbor some prejudice against you, that's why they committed an offense against you. You were "offended." The law will now acknowledge that offense. If I simply commit a crime that's not so bad, but if that crime offends you, well mandatory sentencing for that!
 Ever wonder why if I enjoy an activity that you also enjoy, and we engage in that activity together, we say we are passionate about it? Being passionate is a good thing right? It is, unless I disagree with you and am passionate about my belief. I'm not offended by your belief, I'm simply passionate about mine. But, you're offended. Happens all the time. Should I not share my passion? Apparently, for some, I should just scroll on by. Maybe I should but that's not my personality. I like to be engaged. That's what the experts call that, being engaged. Another thing that is good for you but not for me, depending. 
 Well, I'm not offended that you're offended. If you're offended, you should ask yourself why? What I mean is if someone offers a different set of facts or a different perspective you shouldn't be offended by that. As for me it just makes me curious. Why are you saying that, or is that true? Interesting even when I don't agree. I don't easily get offended. I just get done. That's when I just scroll on by. When I decide that you are not worth interacting with, I'm done. It shouldn't offend you however, unless you really think about that.   

2 comments:

  1. Some egos are not 'strong' enough to take an opinion that differs. Case in point...did you NOT block me because I had strong opinions that didn't align with yours? Yep, you did.... and my daughter as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS As you said, 'they are just opinions' and that you LOVE a debate. Sometimes people 'set people up'

    ReplyDelete