Saturday, March 12, 2022

a little something extra

 Everyone wants your money, but few want your memories. I'll begin by saying everyone will be disappointed when I'm gone, ya'll ain't gettin much. That was the thought that came to mind as I watched once again a dumpster being filled in the driveway. My sons neighbor was placed in a retirement home and his sons sold his home. As is often the case they had to clean it out, sort through his life. That house was filled with his memories, each scrap of paper, each picture, each memento. And we can't know what was of true importance to him beyond what he may have told. And so it becomes a question, what here is of value? I've seen where an auction house is called in to comb through what's left and place a value on objects. I've seen where 1-800-Got Junk was called too. Now how sad is that? 
 I understand that it has to be done, I get it. You can't keep everything as a shrine. There are the practicalities in life to be considered. Houses must be sold, property disposed of. Seeing this I wonder if I should start sorting through my junk. The thing is, I don't see a bunch of junk. I am still in the "I might need that" mode. It's not that I have an emotional attachment to that stuff, that's not it. I might need it someday, you never know what tomorrow will bring. I guess that is how you would perform such a task though, by deciding what I might need someday. If when sorting through that property I figure I don't see a future need for it, it's gone. 
 My "prizes" or "treasures" whatever you choose to call them are mostly pictures, objects I inherited from past generations, and things my kids and grandkids have given to me. If forced into a decision I can't really think of anything I have purchased that I would want saved. No, it's the things you can't buy that I'm attracted too. Yes, I'm quite sentimental when it comes to some things. I have a box where I store a number of those type things. I call that box my archives. I do have a number of things on "display" as well. Each one has a story that goes with it, a story that I remember. I even began writing a ledger listing these items and what they are. I started that in the hope that it would help in preserving them. The thought being if you know what it is, you will hold onto it. But, I haven't added anything to that ledger in quite a while. I may continue one day.
 I hear the commercials on television all the time. I should buy more life insurance, take care of everything beforehand. Final bills and final expenses and maybe a little something left over. The implication is, the little something left over is the most important part in all of that. I don't think I'm much different from most of us, I don't really want to plan for my death. Fact is, all I have to do is wait for it, no plan required, it'll happen all on its' own. But, I'm supposed to be concerned with those I leave behind. If I can leave them a little something, that should help with the memories. 
 I'm selfish though. I'm concerned with what will happen to my memories. That's the long and short of it. I can't help but wonder what will be discarded as junk. As I said I get it, you can't just keep everything as it was. That's why I started making a list of things I hope someone keeps. It's also why I stopped making that list too I suppose. It does seem a bit morbid to me when I really think about it beyond my own feelings. Would that place an obligation on whoever has to clean out my junk? Or would it serve more as a catalogue? You could say it is an inventory as well, an inventory of my memories, indexed and searchable? Guess I should put that on a flash drive, with pictures. That's a thought. 
 Now talking to a great grandchild, or beyond, though that might be something. We have the technology to do that. Some years back when video tapes (vcr) and (beta) were popular formats that was done. Remember that? People were doing video wills, stuff like that. I guess in the future our descendants will be watching us on Tik-Tok video or Facebook posts. I'm not certain how that works I think you can have all that deleted after you pass if you request it. Well, I guess someone else would have to do it, would be kinda hard for you to do it, I mean, after you're dead.   
 Would you be interested in listening to a distant ancestor talk about their lives? If so, what would you want to hear about? Life lessons? Or would you want it to be simple entertainment. Video ancestry? That's an interesting thought. It would be quite the challenge, I think. Thing is would it be saved or discarded as junk? What's this? I don't know, throw it out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment