Thursday, March 10, 2022

the way it was

 I didn't watch, but saw advertised a new television show, domino masters. I just thought how are you going to make a show about that? I mean, I really don't want to watch someone setting up dominos, although it is fun to watch them fall. I have seen videos of that, thirty seconds or so. I am not intrigued enough to tune in to the show, however. What am I am going to see? How steady someone's hands are? I'll pass on that one. I'm thinking you would have to be pretty bored to watch that. Entertaining? Well. there is that other show the Masked Singer. Never watched a single episode of that either. Last night began season seven, or so it was advertised. I guess some people are watching. From what I know about it, celebrities, some questionable at best, wear a costume while singing, and you are supposed to guess who they are. I have yet to see any fascination with that. But whatever. Talk about the boob tube! It is living up to that moniker in my opinion. 
 I have wondered about the reality shows that aren't real in any way. Housewives of this or that? Yeah, real life alright. The earliest one I recall was survivor. A "game" where the objective is to lie, cheat, steal and basically stab your opponents in the back to "win" the prize! Very popular. Big Brother uses the same premise. Then there are the "dating" shows or "marriage" shows portraying that as a "game." The bachelor, bachelorette or whatever. Love Island? Haven't watched any of that nonsense either. All I can say about all of that is I believe the "moral" lesson in those shows is quite a bit different than the shows I watched growing up. 
 Now I have watched some other shows that I find amusing for their campiness. Shows about tracking big foot, swamp monsters, and that sort of thing. The paranormal investigations and hauntings. Even the people on those shows have a hard time not laughing about some that stuff. It's a distraction though and pretty funny at times. I liked Duck Dynasty just because it was so silly. Uncle Cy and the gang. The swamp people are fun to watch. Choot'em! I realize the whole thing is staged, like watching bass masters, fifty hours of film to get a five minute segment. But it's interesting in a strange sort of way.  Haven't seen any new episodes lately though. 
 I'm not saying people shouldn't watch all those shows if that is what they enjoy watching. I am wondering what they will come up with next. Playing with dominos? Really, that's a show. What about Jack Masters? I mean the game of jacks, not body building or confronting someone, as in all jacked up! Marble shooting competitions? I still have my boulder and cats eye! Jenga? 
 Well I do miss the good old shows that entertained you with clever jokes, skits and good clean humor. No back stabbing, lying, cheating or stealing as virtues. Back when the good guys always won out in the end. Of course that was back when we could laugh at each other without being offended. Back when we could say that some people just needed killing. Yup, back when people were held to account for their choices, and were rewarded for the good ones, and punished for the bad ones. Back when there was right and wrong! Back when the news told you the news and not what you are supposed to believe that news meant. Walter always said, that's the way it is, and that is the way it was.  

No comments:

Post a Comment