Tuesday, March 15, 2022

moral turpitude

 Yesterday I heard that an auction house had sold the football that Tom Brady used when throwing his "last" touchdown. This undisclosed collector paid, well made the winning bid, at 518,628 thousand dollars. A real deal according to the head of the auction house who felt it would fetch a million dollars. Almost immediately after that sale Brady unretired. Now that ball isn't worth much at all, maybe a few hundred bucks as a novelty item. Caveat Emptor undisclosed collector.
 The online moral majority are saying the guy should get his money back. I'm saying, not so fast. First off, did Tom Brady profit from that? As far as I know and from what I read he did not. So, there was no misrepresentation on the part of Tom Brady other than changing his mind about playing another season, or maybe two. It isn't like you couldn't have predicted that he would. I'm thinking that is why the bidding went the way it did, some folks are willing to assume less risk. My wife disagrees and thinks the guy should get a refund. Her position is, Brady said he was retiring and that's why the ball sold. Yes, that's true I can't dispute that but, he didn't say he was retiring to increase the sale price of that ball or any other memorabilia as far as we know. If it is shown to be otherwise, I would have to change my mind. I think he has every right to change his mind.
 I just see this as playing a game of poker. You have to be willing to assume the risk and take the loss. Now, if Brady does come back, like he says, but just coached from the sideline never throwing another touchdown pass, that ball will still be the last. It's a possibility. He could get injured in training camp, get injured in the first game of the season. It's a chance. This collector assumed Brady would stay retired, that was his decision, his opinion and his money. Obviously, he had a half a million or so to gamble with so I'm guessing this didn't hurt him all that much. If it did, still his fault, call the gambling hotline for help. 
 I'm no big Tom Brady fan. I like to sound like I support him just to annoy the haters. His accomplishments can't go unnoticed, and he is a hall of famer for certain. He isn't the first player to retire and then change his mind. Personally, I would retire while on top, walk away the winner. I hate to see when players just play too long. I've always enjoyed pro-wrestling, yes it's fake. Still I always feel bad for those guys that continue way past their prime. In the case of Brady he certainly doesn't need the money and what records are there left to break? The better question for Brady to ask himself is, how likely am I to break those records. 
 As far as any collector trying to capitalize on his retirement, that's on them as far as I'm concerned. Like betting on a fight, your guy might get knocked out in the first round. The auction house made a profit, the undisclosed collector most likely will not. He gambled, he lost. Not Tom Bradys' fault in my opinion. Did Tom Brady guarantee the auction house or the buyer that he wouldn't play again? Did Tom Brady make a profit? Did Tom Brady deceive anyone at all? No, Tom Brady changed his mind for whatever reason. Could be ego? I'm just sayin'. Or are we just going to say, Brady is a liar! The guy should get his money back based on moral turpitude. In the immigration act of 1952 moral turpitude is grounds for denial of a visa, or entry into the United States. Did Brady commit moral turpitude?         

No comments:

Post a Comment