Monday, March 28, 2022

jurisprudence

 Listening to the news as they discuss the whole transgender thing. The guy Lia Thomas, yes that's a guy, was the hot topic. But they also were talking with another guy that thinks he is really a woman despite his biology. Guess he doesn't trust the science. Towards the end of the piece, it was mentioned that 14 states have passed legislation about transgender people competing in sports. And then it was mentioned there are several bills in committee about that as well. It was then I thought, well we have the Bill of Rights. They were written and added to the Constitution in 1791, just three years after the constitution was ratified. James Monroe authored those in response to the anti-federalists pointing out what they saw as deficiencies in the constitution. It's interesting to note that the Bill of Rights, at least the original ten adopted, all bestow rights upon the people and limit the power of government. 
 In thinking about that I thought what we need now is a Bill of Common Sense. That bill would limit the government's decision regarding what only requires common sense to understand. We could start with defining that life begins at conception. Yes, growth begins once the seed is planted and fertilized! Works that way in nature, I know that despite the fact I'm not an agriculturist or botanist! Common sense. Then we could move on to genders. Females have two X chromosomes and males one X and one Y. I know that despite the fact I am not a Geneticist. I admit it isn't common sense but something I learned in school, still, common sense should prevail when defining what is a man and a woman or male and female, chromosomes don't lie or have feelings. Common sense should tell you that if the door is marked Ladies room, ladies are to go in there, not men. That's why we have a men's room. Of course, common sense should tell us a lot of things, but the government insists on warning labels just the same. Caution product will be hot after heating! Yeah, there was no warning label, I got burned and I'm suing you. I ate fifty cheeseburgers last month and gained ten pounds, why wasn't I warned? 
  I may start working on that Bill of Common sense. 1) your stupidity is not my liability. That sounds like a good start to me. That would take care of a lot the lawsuits being filed these days. In fact, that may be the only one necessary. We already have a fundamental premise in law that "ignorance of the law is no excuse" that expresses that idea. In Latin, "ignorantia juris non excusat" Ignorance of the law excuses not. "Stultitia non excusat", stupidity excuses not in Latin should be added. What would you add to the list?  

No comments:

Post a Comment