Wednesday, March 11, 2020

progress over time

 I was just remembering when we went to the garage. Fancy people called them a service station. But to me it was the garage. The first job I had was at the garage. Well, it was an unofficial position, pumping gas when I was like fourteen or so, but it felt like a real job to me. I was working with men and they treated me like a man. Mostly I got to look at the calendar in the back room and one man had a special magazine in his toolbox! From that magazine I learned that there were really such places as nudist camps! And they let me drive the truck in and out of the garage and sometimes drive it around back. Eventually I was allowed to change the oil and lubricate cars under their supervision. I learned a lot about cars, engines, outboard motors and life. I learned that working wasn't always a fun thing either but that people counted on you, so you did what was necessary.
 I was reminded of that yesterday when I heard the local " quick stop " was being sold and would become an Exxon Mart. This store already sells Exxon gasoline so I'm assuming they just purchased the building, perhaps giving the current owner a franchise. Whatever the case is, the point is it will be an Exxon mini-mart. Some are calling that progress. But for me I was reminded. The garage I worked at had been selling Shell gasoline when I was a kid. I was told this story by the owner so I am certain it is the truth. As I said they sold Shell gas. Now this garage also had a small store that sold fishing poles, tackle, a few candy bars, and other odds and ends. It was a rather crowded little place, cluttered and old looking. That's my memory of it anyway. At some point the Shell gasoline representative told the owner, George, Uncle George to me although not my Uncle, that he wanted George to only sell official Shell products in this store. Uncle George told him no, he would sell whatever he wanted to in his store as his customers had their likes and dislikes. After a long discussion, the way it was described to me it wasn't so much a discussion as the Shell representative being informed on what would be what, that representative said he wouldn't sell gasoline to him anymore! That's when Uncle George, at his garage, began selling Esso gasoline. Yes, Esso was the predecessor to Exxon, now Exxon mobile. And now it seems that Exxon is insisting on the same thing as Shell did back in the day. In this case, they are buying the building. Of course, this station isn't a garage. I remember when there was a garage there, on that very spot. It was torn down to build this mini-mart. Same family owned both I believe. Progress I suppose.
 History really does repeat itself. This is an example of that. Almost the same scenario as back in the mid 1960's. The transition from garage to mini-mart went in stages. I honestly don't know what happened to that garage I worked in. The last I knew they didn't sell any gasoline anymore and had become a body shop. I expect there are still a few traditional garages around. By that I mean the ones that sell gas and repair your car. Greensboro has what I call an old time garage, been in business there since 1919 and owned by the same family. They don't sell gasoline anymore. I'm not sure what year that ended but they have one of their pumps inside, on display. The price of gasoline when they took that pump out was 29 cents. There was another garage in town that was in the same category. They had sold gas at one time but when I knew the man he repaired cars and had a tow truck. Sadly, that man passed away and that all ended. The building was purchased by someone and looks a mess these days. I'm not sure what is going on there.
 Times change, progress rolls over the past. Nowadays I'd say most repair shops don't sell gas. I'd also say most gas stations include a mini-mart. But they don't have pay phones, most garages had both. Well Uncle Georges garage didn't have a phone booth but there was one not far away. I'd also say most people don't know the man working at the repair shop, not the way you knew the man pumping your gas. There was a relationship there. He checked your oil, if you wanted, air in the tires, new windshield wipers were available, right there on the island, next to the oil cans. You knew his name and he knew yours. He was also familiar with your vehicle. Today it's just a business transaction. And the garage is well lighted, uncluttered, usually with several bays. The waiting area will have  television, free wi-fi, Keurig coffee, and at least one I know of, free manicures! Yes, that's because the ladies bring the car in for service. That used to be the mans' job, going to the garage and talking about man stuff. I miss those old time garages. I'm thinking that is what a lot of these young men need today, a good garage. A place where they can learn a trade, learn how to work with others, and learn about life. They need to get their fingers off the keyboard and get grease under their fingernails. Real men don't use hand sanitizer, they use kerosene! They don't hang out at Starbucks,  they can be found with their heads under a hood, giving advice. Ah, I do miss the old days at the garage.

No comments:

Post a Comment