Tuesday, March 17, 2020

changes

 Well it's St. Patrick's day. I'll be sure to wear something green to avoid being pinched. Of course that woud be bullying these days, a crime. Still it's a tradition I keep and will continue to do so.. Now that I'm quarantined I suppose many are safe. But it is the first time I know of that we are celebrating St. Patrick's without any parades. I'm certain it ruined the plans of many. I'm as equally certain it is having an economic impact. A lot of green beer, corned beef and cabbage.
 In the last few years I have been amazed that the Irish folks in America aren't complaining and protesting. I mean every year, for one day, everyone makes fun of them. They insist that the Irish do nothing more than drink and fight. They stereotype type them all to be red heads with bad tempers. Why aren't they feeling marginalized? Don't they feel bullied? And the wearing of the green, really, Irish folks always wear green. Why Irish-Americans aren't even demanding reparation's for the way they were treated in the past. The English caused the potato famine forcing them to flee to America. When they got here they were treated badly indeed, being called names like Paddy and characterized as drunkards. But the Irish persisted and in the end got themselves a day of celebration where everyone is Irish! Parades abound and everyone is drinking beer.
 But this year is turning out to be an extraordinary year. One for the history books as the saying goes. The stock market spiraling downward, a global pandemic, two presidential candidates over the age of 75, self  quarantining, schools closed, businesses shut down by the government, and it is only March 17th. I'm predicting 2020 will be one of those years that stands out in history. It will not soon be forgotten because of the social impact it is going to have. A fundamental change is taking place. This will be lost on many people, especially the younger folks, but I can see it coming. Our liberty is being eroded away. It started long before this Coronavirus appeared out of nowhere but the virus is becoming the propellant to move it forward. Government officials are now asserting themselves, claiming only they know what is best for you. Panels of experts on the television not offering hope, only predicting disaster. The dam has cracked and soon the floodgates will be open. In the future any abnormality, any unrest, any disruption will be met with government force, not intervention.
 I'm not saying this flu isn't a serious thing, possibly a very serious thing. I am saying the government is now taking extraordinary measures. Are they justified in doing so? Arguments can be made for both sides. To err on the side of safety is the prudent course. Personally I believe it is a bit of an overreaction. I do think the media has added fuel to this fire. Perhaps politics is playing a role as well. As I have said before, when opportunity knocks, and some do see this as opportunity. I'm confident we will all survive, we'll get through this. What I'm more concerned about is the long term effect. A fundamental change to the way the government responds. More power has shifted. Another degree of socialization is taking place. Fear is being used to push an agenda. An opportunity? Yes, I believe that some as using this pandemic to further their cause. One candidate for President already stating that if we had a socialized medical system, single payer, this could have been avoided. We would have been prepared! An attempt to scare people into voting for that. Yes it is and it is blatant. Is social distancing a medical necessity or an attempt to separate the pack? But we can use social media you say. Yes and I think we all know how that works out. Social media is not the format for personal interaction is any positive way. Unfortunately all social media seems to do is embolden people to act their worst. We shall see. In the meantime happy St. Patrick's day.  

No comments:

Post a Comment