Monday, March 16, 2020

a secular response

 Once again I find myself holding the minority opinion. Truth be told I expected that to be the case. The churches have closed their doors due to common sense and reason. Galileo Galilel, yes the astronmer guy, said: " I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use. " He was of course defending his observation that the earth circled the sun. It wasn't a new idea but actually had been around in scientific circles for hundreds of years. Fearing that science was being elevated above God the church wasn't very happy about that. That was the real issue. The church was afraid that science would replace faith. My minority opinion is that that it has come to fruition with the closing of the church doors. Yes common sense and reason tells us to distance ourselves from those that would infect us, but is it not faith that should bring us together? Sacrificing faith for safety by rationalization, in accordance with science. Just as the church feared would happen all those centuries ago. 
 Now Galileo wasn't telling anyone to not attend church services or that the church should not hold public services, but the church was worried about that. If the population just began using common sense and reason where would that leave the church? If science replaces God what becomes of humanity? The question in all of that is what would God have to say. Would God tell us to listen to common sense and reason, stay away from those public services altogether in the name of safety? Does God direct us to , play it safe? It's true that we have been instructed to not test God. Would exposing ourselves to this virus be such a test? That's something that has to be answered individually. I say that because it is my belief each person has their own God. Your God is not my God. That's because I am the only one that can share that relationship with him. Just as different siblings have different feelings towards their parents, each of us, being children of God, share a different view of him. Like opinions there is no right and wrong only a comparison. That comparison, often mistaken for judgment, is between my God and yours. The Bible, and all religious texts, are an effort to codify God. Yes, that is correct. That's why they call it the law! I don't get to make the final judgement but I can Judge what my God is and wants me to be. That's the free will part. It is also the reason the church was upset with Galileo, they wanted to stay in control, remain the authority. The Pope is infallible! That is something that Catholics maintain to this very day. Yes, there was a change of opinion. They did so when they accepted science and faith could co-exist.
 I maintain the opinion that the Shepard does not distance himself from the flock. Consider the parable of the Shepard and his flock of one hundred. When one wanders off doesn't he go in search of it? Is that common sense and reason? Wouldn't it be more reasonable to stay and protect the ninety nine? But the Shepard will tend his flock despite danger, dispute common sense or reason. And I view all Pastors as good Shepherds. Is it not their duty to keep the flock together? How can you do that by closing the gate on the sheepfold? Should we not gather together in troubling times? Why do we congregate? To come together in faith is my answer. Each of us can exercise common sense and reason in doing so. It is my feeling that the Shepard should be there for the flock, not closing the gate, but rather holding it open. 
 All of this comes as a surprise to me. I admit to not attending church on a regular basis, in fact, infrequently. I do not consider myself righteous, pious or possessing any great faith. Yet, I find myself troubled by this action. What is the message being sent? I don't know why this bothers me the way it does. I feel compelled to speak up, to voice my opinion. Regardless of dissent and indeed judgement by others, I feel compelled. It is not a call to preach. It is not a condemnation or judgement. It is my thoughts, my feelings. I was upset and troubled when the churches began locking their doors at night for fear of theft and vandalism. But it was something I could understand and come to grips with. Truth be told I still find it unsettling. But this, the closing of the doors altogether? Should we only gather together when it is safe? Who makes that call? Science, government, or the Shepard? Do we close the church based on secular science? It just seems counterintuitive to me. 
 The church condemned Galileo for secular science, then pardoned him. The fear was secular science would overtake the church. To use a fancy term, aggrandize, the power of science. It was a genuine fear, or concern, depending upon your point of view. It is difficult to change our point of view at times. It is doubly so when it seems to be a compromise. 
 Oscar Wilde wrote: " Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation. " Now Wilde is a controversial figure in history. Convicted of " gross indecency " and living an eccentric lifestyle. This passage of his, I believe, is his explanation of who he was. It was a justification for his existence. He became popular for his writings, his plays, and his entertaining nature. Most of history has forgiven his eccentricities. Today he is admired. I included this quote because it is my hope that I'm not " other " people but genuinely myself. It is a difficult task. I'm not sure I'm up to the challenge. But that is called life. And life, life is allowing yourself to be vulnerable. Taking the risk in hope of reward.   
  

No comments:

Post a Comment