Friday, March 6, 2020

be cool

 I watch the morning and evening news shows. Since I've been retired it has become a part of the daily routine. I've watched as the traffic girl became the weather lady and as others either left the station or where dismissed. The local station is of course the most familiar to me. I watch channel 13 news for the most part. I did leave them briefly when they fired a favorite personality, unjustly in my opinion. It was a PC move on their part and I for one, boycotted. Hey that's what we do these days when we are displeased with things, we boycott. But having grown so used to the regulars I didn't boycott that long. I admit it, I succumbed to my own desires, sacrificing my ideals for the comfort of familiarity. Ah well, I am weak.
 This morning as I watched I began to notice something. It has been a gradual process, but  came to the forefront of my thoughts this morning. I noticed how the shows and the personalities , have become less professional than they were in the past. I guess it is just the banter and joking among themselves. The interjection of more personal interactions on the set and with the viewing audience. In the past those personalities did seem distant, more authoritative, than  they do now. At least that is my perception. I'm thinking about when Walter Cronkite or David Brinkley reported the news, you tended to listen to them more attentively. They appeared to know what the were talking about and didn't leave much room for debate. If they said it, it must be true. They certainly didn't present their opinion much, unless it was in the editorial section of the show. It was made clear however, that is was their opinion.
 I get it, it is a business. The object is to attract viewers. The show should be entertaining. That's because that is what the viewers demand today, to be entertained. How factual the presentation is, is not the major concern, as long as it is entertaining and aligns with your opinions.  Having attractive  reporters doesn't hurt either. The concept of dress for success has changed somewhat I'm thinking, In the news business it has that's for sure. No where is that more apparent than in the weather department. Professional dress? Well, that's questionable in my estimation, attractive certainly, stylish, trendy even, but professional I'm not so certain. But it does attract viewers! I admit it does get my attention at times. And isn't that the point? Yes I'd say the set is a less formal place than in years past. But for me it also speaks to credibility. When I feel like I'm listening to the guy at the grocery store I just don't place as much stock in what is being said, know what I mean? When the anchor man on your news show seems like your neighbor, or best friend, it just isn't the same.
 I suppose that is all a part of my upbringing. It is part of my basic core values and perceptions. When I was growing up you addressed police officers as sir, the preacher was Reverend, political figures were addressed by their office, not their first names. Yes there was a distinction between the common man and those in positions of power, fame, notoriety, or whatever made them distinct. It was respect for the position, if not for the man or woman. Of course I recall when it wasn't proper to curse in front of a woman, any woman,or children. Something I practice to this very day. And for that reason I do find all this " homey " personality on the news programs a bit unsettling.
  I'm thinking less formality is leading to a less formal society.  A less formal society tends to be a more impolite, rude and aggressive society. I know,  it's quite a radical thought isn't it? But I'm also aware that sometimes people need to be smacked in the face with reality before they see that.
 Something that stands out to me is when the newscasters start to use slang terms. Recently when a new record album or song is being released they say, dropped. Whoever just dropped their new song. Say what girlfriend? No, not very professional in my opinion. Slang is the codewords of teenagers and those wishing they were still teenagers. They sound inane coming from fifty something news anchors. Bruh you are not the OG! Be cool. Well I guess it is because I expect journalists to have a rather large vocabulary, They do make their living with words. The use of slang doesn't lend itself well to an informative report. Yes, the news is supposed to be an informational program. 

No comments:

Post a Comment