Saturday, March 14, 2020

faith or common sense

 Yesterday I wrote about this extraordinary event that is happening right now. Today I'm thinking about one particular facet of this that leaves me a bit confused. That is the suspending of church services. I have heard that the Episcopal church leaders have decided to not hold any services. One statement I read used the phrases common sense and faith. My question is simply, does faith require common sense? Did Mother Teresa use common sense in her mission? What of those that went to minister to the lepers? Is it using common sense to send a minister on the battlefield? There are numerous instances were I can see common sense is not a factor in deciding to either worship or spread the word. So my question is why? Why has the church now decided we should only worship when it makes good common sense? What about having the faith that God will keep us safe? Are we not to believe that anymore? Yes I know the Biblical story about Jesus and Satan. How you should not test your God. The message I got from that was do not test God in the certainty that the answer will be what you want it to be. You should have faith that God knows what is best for you and will act accordingly. Jump off the cliff and God may or may not send Angels to lift you up. Is that an exercise in common sense or faith? Depends upon just how much faith you actually have I suppose. What is the purpose of that action? I believe God will respond to the motivation behind the act and God does know your heart. You don't make demands of your God!
 I'm left a bit confused by this decision on the part of the church leaders. It's my thinking the church services should continue as always. After all, it is the choice of the worshippers to attend or not. In my thinking to make a statement saying we need to balance common sense and faith isn't sound reasoning at all. The clergy is saying they are doing this to protect you. I see it differently. Who are they protecting? As I said it is an individuals choice to attend or not, just as we are asked to self quarantine. I'm thinking were I a minister I would be preaching and praying, even if it was to an empty church. Surely faith must take precedence when it comes to that. It's my feeling you must walk that walk if you want to talk that talk.
 Now none of this is meant to disparage anyone in any way. I'm just sharing my thoughts openly. I know it is not an easy topic to discuss. I know there will be those that take this all wrong and perhaps change their opinion of me to a more unfavorable position. Well I can't help that. I have to be true to myself before I can expect others to be the same. Anyone that reads these blogs of mine knows this. I often write about morals and ethics. I'm no different than anyone else, I'm searching for answers. If I am different it is only in that I don't accept every answer offered just because " everybody " says so. This action by the church leaves me questioning. Do we balance our faith with common sense? Is it a choice between the two? Are they separate entities? Do we replace faith with science when threatened?
 It's also true I do not attend any church on a regular basis. That is a habit I got out of over the years for many reasons and excuses. For that reason perhaps I should have nothing to say. Is it that I expect too much from that clergy? I'm well aware they are just people like you and I. They have made a public and private proclamation however. They have proclaimed their faith in God, whatever God that may be. They are supposed to lead us all in faith. Lead by example. If they are afraid to lead their parishioners because of a virus what does that say about faith? Common sense has overruled faith? It's a new world I suppose, one fundamentally changed. This is only the first step. I have never heard of this happening and an admittedly brief Google search yielded no results. The only incidence I can recall involves extreme weather conditions or a disaster of some type. They were all reactionary, not proactive. To be proactive is to assume that a certain thing will happen, it's inevitable. Prayer should certainly be a part of those proactive measures, worship services should be a part of that proactive plan. But now, now they have closed the doors. Common sense?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment