Friday, August 9, 2019

remaining stoic

 I do enjoy a discussion, an exchange of ideas, I always have. When I was young I would " argue " with my father. He, like millions of fathers, would shake his head and tell me you don't know what you're talking about. I would counter with, you're old fashioned, and that isn't the way it is anymore. We had those sort of back and forths, all the time. It used to drive my mother crazy. But, we never got mad at each other, never wound up not speaking. Dad never imposed his thinking on me and I secretly absorbed the lessons he was teaching. I don't believe either of us where aware of any of that. I believe there is much all of us are not aware of! We are influenced in so many ways, by so many things, it is impossible to be aware all the time. 
 The society in which we are raised surely has to be the largest influence. I believe that begins in the neighborhood. Our society in its' broadest sense , is our country. We are not aware of that when we are children. We are only aware of the neighborhood. That's why the first day of school can be a shock to some of us. I know it was to me, those other kids were mean! Yes, other children didn't share their toys as readily as my sister did. I was physically smaller than others, and they pushed. I pushed back. Following those school years we enter the " real " world. Then we discover the real world isn't like home. That can come as another shock. Some will withdraw from that while others attempt to dominate. There are two ends to the spectrum. The way we navigate that spectrum is by the adoption of a philosophy. Philosophy is a way of thinking about the world, the universe and society in general. It begins by asking very basic questions. Questions about man, nature, and how we all fit together. 
 I certainly wasn't aware of that as a child. I was just questioning everything, the same as most kids do. Why? Isn't that the word you hear from children most often, why? Make your bed; why. Do your homework; why. Don't make fun of your brother; why not? The answers we receive as a child stem from the philosophy of our parents. Later we will hear answers from others, those with a different philosophy perhaps. Even those in another neighborhood may subscribe to a different philosophy. That is often characterized by the proverbial " tracks " that separate the town. That's because our philosophy is based on our life experiences. At least that is what I think. It makes a difference where you were born and raised! That doesn't mean we can't change our philosophy over the years, people often do, as their personal situation changes. A great deal hinges upon the acceptance of the good and bad in life. Good and bad are subjective however. The very reason why I consider a good thing, you may perceive as horrible! It isn't so much the setting of a standard as adopting that standard universally. A matter of philosophy.
 Yesterday I left a comment on a Facebook posting, as I am prone to do. I think that is why people post comments, to receive comments. I am confused by those that complain when they get them. I read statements like, this is my page! Yeah, your page viewable by a few million people, not exactly private or under eminent domain. But that wasn't the case yesterday I did receive quite a cordial response to my comment. One that gave me pause to think and consider. This individual thought I may be a cynic. I had to consider that, she did have a point. And that thought lead me to this blog. I have decided that I am not a cynic but rather I am a stoic. Cynicism and Stoicism are schools of philosophy. Each one had its' champion. Diogenes was the champion of the Cynics, I find him to be just a bit too extreme for my tastes. The stoics had Epictetus. Now there was a man after my own heart. So, I'd say I am a stoic, not a cynic. It has been said that the only difference between a cynic and a stoic is there tunic but I don't agree with that. The true cynic is just a bit too extreme. 
 I did some reading on the subject, to gain a basic understanding. I don't believe you can be taught philosophy, it's something you have to develop for yourself. It is the adoption of ideas that form your philosophy. You don't adopt a philosophy. As I thought about that I wondered where I had gotten these ideas from. The answer is obvious enough, from my childhood. I'm from New England, home of the stoics! Far from being an expert in this field, that is still my conclusion. I feel the majority of the folks I knew as a child were stoics. In fact I think the majority of Americans were stoics, just to varying degrees, but stoics nonetheless. Today I fear a shift towards Hedonism is in play. It is the oldest of the philosophies and all things do come in cycles. The old adage, what goes around, comes around can be applied. There really is little new in the world, or in thought. 
 I realize every generation goes through this change. That happens on a national level it seems. We have taken to labeling them. I'm a baby boomer! There is generation x and a few others. I'm not well versed in all that. The millennials are another group. When speaking of generations we must remember we are speaking in general, making generalizations! We really shouldn't do that should we? That's the current narrative anyway. Really a Hedonistic worldview. But I should leave this stuff to all those educated folks out there. That is more in line with the Stoic view. I did learn that I have to guard against cynicism. And that is the point of discussion isn't it? You don't have to agree, you don't have to prove your point, all you have to do is talk about it. 
 Epictetus said: " Unless we place our religion and our treasure in the same thing, religion will always be sacrificed. " A truly stoic statement. Some would call it cynical.  

No comments:

Post a Comment