Tuesday, June 26, 2018

the old way

 Ever hear of white gas? You may have if you had any experience with gasoline before 1975 or so. Why 1975? That was the year unleaded gas was introduced. But, then gasoline with lead added was called " regular " gas and the other obviously unleaded. Neither one of those are white gas though. White gas is gasoline without any additives at all. In more modern times it is Naphtha or some form of camp gas. I knew white gas in its' original form, just distilled petroleum without any additives of any kind. It was used in applications where an additive may have caused harm to the machinery. Lead was added to gasoline to help in dissipating heat but the lead would foul spark plugs in certain situations. But anyway, I was thinking about this white gas this morning and figured many folks have probably never heard of it. As I said, today it is commonly called camp gas but that isn't really gasoline at all. It is just an example of nomenclature changing over time and usage.
 The thought of white gas came to mind when I remembered a small incident taking place at the gas station where I worked. Yes, I still call them gas stations. There was a gas pump inside the garage that dispensed white gas. It was used mostly for cleaning parts and such. Yes, we used gasoline for cleaning small parts, indoors, in an unventilated room. I know, amazing any of us lived through it. Anyway I went to get some white gas on a rag for cleaning something. Now being a bit inexperienced I placed the rag over the end of the nozzle and squeezed the handle. I squeezed a little too hard and that gas just squirted all over the place, including me. Fact is, I was drenched in gasoline! I was told to run home and take a shower. I did! Literally , I ran the distance home, maybe a half a mile or so, all the time that gasoline stringing my skin and eyes. Stopping outside the back door I took off my clothes, except my underwear, and dashed into the house. I ran past Mom, who was washing the dishes and up the stairs. Mom followed, hot on the trail, hollering what are you doing? Imagine her surprise when I streaked through the kitchen in my underwear. Well, I explained what happened and the clothes were thrown in the washer. I did go back to work that day and was the subject of good natured ribbing the rest of the day.
 I never tried to soak a rag with gasoline in that way again. Following that incident I always put a little gas into a container of some sort. It was a learning experience. Looking back it is amazing that we didn't have any more incidents and accidents than we did. This was at a time when acid was still added to batteries as needed. The battery acid was in a container on a shelf above your head, gravity feed of course. I can still remember the batteries sitting in a row on that bench charging and that smell of sulfur in the air. Well, really it is Hydrogen Sulfide gas but I was told that is what hell smells like. I had enough small holes in my pants from splatters to see the results of getting it on you. We didn't wear aprons or goggles! I wonder why? I guess were just weren't as paranoid back in the day having a bit more confidence in our abilities. It's true the incompetent were exposed quite quickly. You didn't get a chance to make a lot of mistakes. The best you could hope for was to get away with it. Ah, the good old days.
 I left for the Navy in 1971 and never worked at a garage after that. All that I had learned there has served me well over the years. The technology has certainly changed. Now I am called upon when there is a question about " antique " automobiles and their engines. Ask the old guy, he might know. Yes, the old guy does know. I'm not sure you could get white gas anymore or battery acid for that matter. There is a lot the old guy knows that is no longer useful information for the everyday mechanic. The old guys used to repair automobiles and their components, today it is more of a replace situation. You don't need to know how or why the component does what it does, just replace it. The computer will tell you what to do. Will the internal combustion engine go the way of the steam engine? Will it one day be a relic of an old technology? Yes, I believe it will.
      

No comments:

Post a Comment