Sunday, June 17, 2018

come as you are

 I'm leaving this morning for a trip to Florida. I'm not one to go on vacations and such very often, that isn't the way I was raised! Still, it is a blessing to be able to do so. I am going to visit with my sister. All the years that are behind us, all the memories created, are waiting to be shared. That is the currency of siblings, memories. As most of you know I was in the Navy for twenty years and traveled all around. My sister married an Air Force guy, I know, but it was her choice, and spent twenty years traveling the globe with him. All those years and the ones following our respective retirement we haven't gotten together very often. Living life, raising families and distance got in the way. And now, now we both realize we allowed that to happen figuring there is always a tomorrow. Well, yes there is, but it is today that needs to be lived! And today, I'm going to see my sister.
 No longer are we young and full of dreams, now we are filled with what was, and that isn't a bad thing. Being the youngest two in the family we were always called the " little " kids. Where are the little kids, call the little kids to dinner. The little kids are still here and getting together. We have both had some health issues, hers I'm afraid a lot more serious than my own. The nature and severity of her illness I'll leave to her to tell, should she wish to do that. Illness is something to be dealt with on a personal level, it doesn't get any more personal than that. I'll listen should she choose to speak, otherwise I'll sit in respectful silence on that subject. We have much to share with one another. In the end there isn't much one can do other than listen, and hold their hand. But this blog is taking a somber tone and I don't want that. I'm excited to be going to visit with my sister. We can share the old stories once again, and tell the new ones, reveling in the accomplishments of our children and grandchildren. Hard to believe when you think about it. The " little kids " are all grown up, well, almost.
 I don't think I'll be posting any blogs until I return home. Rarely do I miss a day, it will be different for me that much is certain. Perhaps I'll return refreshed or perhaps I'll discover I am done. You really can't know what tomorrow holds. But for today, I'm going to see my sister. It'll take a day or two to get there. The wife and I will meander down the coast stopping as the mood strikes us. There is no big hurry, no rush. Life goes by all too quickly, something you don't learn until later in life. You also learn to leave a lot of baggage behind discovering it isn't necessary at all. Life should be lived come as you are, we are all going home, to family. And there really is no hurry.

No comments:

Post a Comment