Saturday, June 2, 2018

over the line

 I've expressed my thoughts about this subject in the past and it was brought to the front once again by recent events. First there was Roseanne and her statement. She was fired immediately for that and I'd say she deserved what she got. That was followed by Samantha Bee, who has apologized and the whole incident most likely forgotten. Setting aside the obvious bias both statements were rude, crude and just plain wrong. But we have to examine what precipitated all of this. It is what I have been writing about for some time, the language we use in what I call " polite " company. The choice of adjectives and expletives being used in everyday language has certainly expanded to include all manner of offensive and downright inappropriate terms. The result? We are now hearing apologies that include this phrase, " I crossed a line. " The problem is, you erased that line years ago with your insistence of " Freedom of Speech " meaning I can just say whatever I want, to whomever I want, whenever I want, using any language I want! It's my right. The filter of civility was removed with that action and this is the result.
 I was raised in a time when you could get your mouth washed out with soap! Yes, there were certain words you just didn't use. There were words that weren't allowed to be used on the radio and television. George Carlin did a famous bit about that, and the people laughed and laughed. That was in 1972 and we all felt so adult for having listened to that. There was even a Supreme court case over it. The court upheld the FCC rules on what can be said. There was still a sense of decency back then although I'd say George Carlin did a good bit to erode that. No pun intended. Prior to that, that sort of thing was only heard in smoky nightclubs on the seedier side of town. We all agreed it was for " adults " only. There were recordings you could purchase featuring Red Foxx and others doing their " blue " routines. It was all very mature and grown up. That was the justification behind it, vice is always quite exciting isn't it? Yes, we all like to do what we are told not to do, or say. And then we decided that is also made us tough! A cursing person is a dangerous person! If they are using foul and abusive language they mean business! Isn't that the perception? The reason for that is it implies that they are also angry. Don't mess with mad people, they are seldom rational. It is better to leave the crazies alone! This has been known by many cultures throughout history. It has also been used as a tool by many to gain attention and influence others.
  When I was in the Navy, and sailors are notorious for their " salty " language, I saw all that in action. It is really an alpha male type of thing. Those that can cuss the foulest, the loudest and the longest are the winners! Combine that ability with a willingness to engage in physical confrontation and you have your Hollywood sailor. The difference I see today is the removal of physical confrontation. We don't do that anymore, being civilized and all. We have even invented a new term, verbal assault! We still want to attack you, to degrade and humiliate you, to dominate, but we don't want to risk physical injury. So, we use the verbal attack! We are too adult to resort to violence. Really it is just the removal of consequence but we'll label it progressive thinking. Yes, I remember a day when saying or using certain words and phrases would get you a knuckle sandwich!
 The bottom line for me is we, as a society, have allowed and encouraged this sort of thing. We speak so much of censorship and how we shouldn't be censored. The thing is what was being censored was words, not thoughts. No one advocated for the removal of free expression of ideas or thoughts. The idea was to temper our speech with reason. To speak in a civil fashion. As people realized that they could just use name calling and foul and abusive language rather than presenting a well reasoned and valid rebuttal that is what was utilized. It requires little thought and less intelligence. It appeals to the more base portion of character. Morality is a major part of our character. As we dismiss the concepts of moral behavior such choices are made. And yes, a choice is what it is. The new moral code states we get to choose what is moral or not, depending upon our current needs. But I won't get into all of that.
 The phrases most employed don't even make sense! No matter, they're offensive, they will push the button. That is the difference. Where once we offered rebuttal, we now just offer an argument. The argument often contains no actual refutation other than, I think you are wrong. You can hear me cussing right. I'm calling you names. I have offended you. That makes me the winner. If shouting and expletives don't do it, I'll protest! I might even boycott! Don't step over the line! We don't know where the line is anymore but don't step over it. Well, unless it gains ratings or something like that, then it's entertainment. We're just kidding, it's a joke.    
   

No comments:

Post a Comment