Thursday, June 14, 2018

over time

 Thinking about time. I heard on the news this morning the alarmists worrying about Antarctic ice melting. I don't remember the exact figures they were talking about just that they claim the worlds oceans have risen by 3/10 of an inch over the last twenty five years. Just how you would go about measuring that they didn't say. But, the oceans are rising because the ice is melting! Yeah, I expect they would if the ice melts, I'm no scientists but water tends to run downhill and into the oceans. Call it a life observation but that's how it works. This bunch of scientists aren't blaming global warming though, they didn't give a reason it was happening, just that it is happening. Could be global warming though, that sounds reasonable. If the ice caps grow too large wouldn't they then start to get into warmer climates? If that happens they would melt a little bit but like I said I'm no scientist. Anyway, they were predicting the sea level would rise and cover the earth. That made me think of the flood! Yeah, that flood. I'm thinking when that happened the water had to come from somewhere. The Bible says it came from subterranean fountains and of course, the rain. It took forty days. But that is where I began thinking about time. The Bible says Noah was 600 years old when it happened. Are we talking about the same measure of time as we use today? If so, forty days is quite a long time. If we say Noah was sixty, in todays counting and we just assumed a factor of ten making him 600, that would be 400 days of rain and fountains erupting. Yeah, things are gonna be wet. The Bible doesn't really say where all that water went when it receded. There are passages indicating that the topography of the earth was changed either during or after the flood. That seems reasonable enough to me. All that water being blown around, and the Bible says there was a wind, would erode the landscape and create deeper pockets, think of them as large mud puddles, and allow the water to settle down and expose the earth once again. Same amount of Earth, just rearranged a bit. Yeah, that took some time.  And it is time that I am thinking about more than actual events. Time is something that man doesn't understand at all. Time is like space, infinite. Can we understand infinite? I don't think so because we are limited.
  It's really quite simple. Man can only measure what he understands, what we can put inside a box. Man has yet to successfully develop a method to determine what will happen two minutes from now, let alone years. That's why we have fortune tellers and such. It is interesting to measure and speculate, we all do that as children don't we, how tall will I be? Scientists couldn't predict when that volcano in Hawaii would erupt either. If they could it wouldn't have been such a disaster. Surely we have been prepared, we weren't. As far as sea levels rising I don't doubt they are. Is it because the ice is melting? I think that is a factor, certainly. I was in the Navy for twenty years and did learn about ships and a thing called displacement. To put it simply the weight of whatever you put in the water will displace the same amount of weight in water! Yes, the water level rises. Archimedes is credited with figuring that out, I suspect it was known well before his time. Perhaps there wasn't a way to express that principle in writing or figures but that doesn't mean it wasn't known. Man is still trying to explain a whole lot of stuff today that we know about, just can't explain it, like global warming and climate change. Yes, we feel the globe is warming up, yes we know climate change is real, what we don't know is what causes that change! Hey, we really don't know how the whole deal was created in the first place! That, for now, is a matter of faith. Was the earth just a round smooth globe in the beginning? Or was the earth all spiky with water in the low spots. Did the great flood smooth things out some? Is that how the land appeared? We don't know. The Bible tells us God created the Earth. I'll go with that and credit God with the climate changes and rising and falling waters. I figure God can control all of that regardless of what man does. Of course I did learn from reading the Bible it is best to please that God. There was a time when we didn't and guess what happened? The water is rising, we better think about that! Time waits for no man. Was time faster back then or are we just impatient? It does seem like man is more demanding these days. We want it now! I say we better be careful, we are libel to get it. What's that saying? Be careful what you ask for.
 Now if the ice caps melt because of global warming the sea level rises. Eventually all the land is covered, flooded out. All that water will certainly cool things down. I mean, even if it is hot enough to cause evaporation, condensation will result, what we call rain. Then the rain creates storms the wind starts blowing and all that water starts reshaping the surface of the earth. Over time, land appears. Hey, that sounds familiar. Well, I'll leave it to all those scientists to measure time and solve the mysteries of the universe. One thing I believe is, I've got time, I don't know it all right now, but I'm learning. I'll learn, over time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment