Thursday, June 28, 2018

personas and personalities

 Before politics what did we talk about on Facebook? I'm thinking it was mostly pictures of our kids, grandkids and what's for supper. It was a different atmosphere that much is certain. I admit to being one of those that contributed to the foul air. But, there is no going back, as the saying goes, and that is a fact. It's the new norm. Words spoken or written can never be retrieved. It is all out there. Facebook has become a sounding board for the older folks! Yes, Facebook is for old people, at least that is what I am told by my grandkids. My own kids, and believe me they are still kids at 40 something, have there own uses for Facebook. They use it as a social platform for selling stuff, organizing activities  for their kids and an occasional bit of gossip. They are always " checking in " somewhere. That has something to do with their phones, a setting or something I don't know much about. My own phone has started this habit as well. And on the news I hear about privacy concerns with the tracking feature on those phones. Should the court have to subpoena your phone records to view that activity? It's an interesting question. I'm no lawyer but on television they always had to subpoena your phone records to see who you called. I'm thinking the real issue is whether they can search your phone. Seems to me they can, with reasonable cause, and that requires a judge saying so. The question for me is, how do I prove that you had that phone? I mean, just because the phone was there it doesn't mean I was there. Well I'll leave all of that to the lawyers to figure out. I guarantee you there won't be a straight answer to any of it! We don't make firm decision anymore, there is always an exception to the rule. Fact is, if you read the law, and that is probably why they call it that when you are studying law, you are reading all the exceptions! Yeah, the lawyers call them precedents but they are the exceptions and excuses acceptable to the bar. But just what is the bar? Even lawyers debate about what that means. It is generally thought to mean having passed the bar exam to practice law in a certain jurisdiction. Yeah lawyers are like doctors, they are still practicing, not having mastered their prospective professions.
 Well I have wandered off topic as I am apt to do. I was talking about Facebook and how it has changed over the years. The big change started after Trump won the presidency. At least that is my opinion. Oh there was plenty of conversation/discussion concerning politics before that but it took a turn for the worse following the results. I have said since the beginning and it is still true that I didn't vote for Donald Trump. I have also said, repeatedly, that he won! That, to me, is the bottom line like it or not. There are many on Facebook that refuse to accept that result and that is an issue. That one issue alone has done more to pollute Facebook than any other topic. It is the dividing line. I am constantly accused of being a Trumpster! Why, because I agree with some of his policies. Strangely I was never called an Obama supporter when I agreed with some of his policies. But I'll leave that alone, as I really don't care. I support the office of the president, wishing him success. What he does effects the nation! I'm certainly not going to work towards having him fail. I just don't understand that mentality at all. 
 I will say the old Facebook was less mentally challenging. You didn't have to think about much or be well informed. Well, that hasn't changed all that much, there are plenty of folks commenting that are less than informed. I don't get it, a few key strokes and you can gain information on any subject you can dream of. Why wouldn't you do that before making silly remarks that are totally unfounded in any truth? Of course I'm still wondering why so many state the obvious and then act like it is some major revelation. Give this a like if you are against animal abuse or you think cancer sucks! Just who would support either of those? Why those questions? Could it simply be you are assured of the answer you want? Is that what is at the bottom of all this? A certain group of people didn't get the answer they wanted? And now, they are demanding that answer at all costs!
 We have started many sub-groups on Facebook. I started one of my own following disagreement on another. I decided rather than impose my thoughts, writings or presence on anyone else I would just leave that group. I think that is what mature adults do, politely excuse yourself and go off on your own. I can talk about those others on my " page " or in my " group " all I want too. So, nah, nah nah! That's the mature response. The original thought in starting my own little group was to share common stories and renew bonds from the past. That was the intent of the first group as well. Some seemed to get confused about that and wasn't happy with what I had to say. Guess I was just like a neighbor you really don't like and that's fine. I left the neighborhood. I haven't been to the old neighborhood since. I hope they are all getting along. You know Facebook is a reflection of real life in some ways. All the little groups and cliques, just like high school. Some are travelling the high road and some are taking the low. Personas and personalities. The big difference is there is a screen between us. You see only what I allow you to see. What you see isn't always what you get though! Well, nobody's perfect.    

No comments:

Post a Comment