Saturday, June 16, 2018

look both ways

 When I was growing up there were three classes of people. There were the rich people, the poor people and there was us. That's the way I thought of it anyway. To be rich you only needed to have a bit more than me. I figured I had some friends that were rich, not super rich like millionaires, but rich enough. They were the ones that dressed in the latest fashions and fads. In the sixties they had long hair and bought music by the album, I only bought 45's being a bit poorer than them. Their parents gave them cars to drive and they went on the school trips. Yeah, the rich folks lived a bit differently than I did.
 Now I knew some poor folks too. They lived in houses that were covered with tar paper because they couldn't afford shingles. We called their little part of town, " tar paper city."  Really it was just a single road not far from my own. They were good people, just poor. I never questioned why they were poor just accepted the fact that they were. There was no feeling sorry for them or any great need to help them, I just knew they were poor. Nothing wrong with being poor, other than not having money. That was the attitude I grew up with. Surely that attitude came from my parents. I mean, I couldn't tell you how many times I heard them ask me, do you think money grows on trees? We're not rich you know? That was the usual response when asking for things you didn't really need or they viewed as frivolous, things like name brand sneakers when you could get perfectly fine ones at Brill's store for half the price. We didn't have anything like a Walmart, but we had stores for us that weren't rich.
 Of course there was us. We weren't rich or poor just somewhere in the middle. We slid back and forth on that ground depending upon fortune and misfortune. There were times when things were awful tight, when the fishing was bad or work became scarce. The weather, the economy, and the whims of the wealthy influenced all of that. There were times when we were poor! You could usually tell that by what was for supper. At other times we slid up the scale a bit and that's when we bought a pizza out, or got new clothes. Not being real poor folks we usually had whatever we really needed.  When we had a little extra we would extend some charity to those poor folks. No rich folks ever gave us a thing! Fact is we wouldn't have taken it anyway, it would have been an insult!
 I was thinking about this as I listened to these political candidates wanting to give everything to everybody. Yes, it is a good thing to be charitable. Everyone should have what they need. I don't think that means that they should be given everything though. As far as the poor people go I did ask why they didn't try harder to get money? I mean, from a kids view those folks just sat around, collecting welfare and doing whatever they wanted. I was told, maybe it's because they don't want anything more. At least, not if they have to work for it they don't. Maybe they are just as happy with what they have, as we are with what we have. Ever think of that? I admit I hadn't.
 Is it a lack of ambition or is it contentment? That's the real question here. Does anyone want to be poor? I doubt that, but could be they accept that condition. If no one ever told you different you wouldn't know any better either. Is it wrong to be poor? Apparently not, as we are told we should give the poor everything they need,  it's not their fault. They deserve our pity. All we need to do is give them stuff though, money or whatever, and our burden is lifted. How comfortable are you with charity? Does it bother you to accept that? How willing are you to extend charity? I was told it was shameful to accept charity. That isn't something you want to do. You should just go without. I was also told to extend charity whenever you could afford to do that, when you had a little extra. There are those willing to accept it. The thinking was you did that more to insure your own soul, than to help out your fellow man. Yeah, I know, it's selfish but that is the truth of the matter. It does make you feel better about yourself doesn't it. Does motive matter? Well there is the matter of your heart being in the right place. So, I'll leave that answer up to you. I've been fortunate to never have been poor and willing to accept charity from strangers. I think about being rich one day and able to give to charity in a big way. Would I? Can't say until I'm there, and that is the bottom line in all of this. I have to say not much has changed since I was a kid. There are still three classes of people. Poor people, rich people and me. How one relates to the other has undergone some changes though. The thinking is a bit different. Charity for all! If we are all to be equal that's the way it has to be. But that isn't how charity works. You have givers and receivers. The givers can't be the receivers! You really do have to accept your position. Not saying you have to be content with that, just that you need to accept that. I'm just standing here in the middle of the road looking both directions. I could go either way, at any time.          

No comments:

Post a Comment