Sunday, June 10, 2018

discerning

 Few of us walk alone. For the faithful they never really walk alone, we hear that all the time, but that isn't what I have in mind this morning. I'm thinking about the choices we make every day. Those choices are influenced to varying degrees by those around us. From our closest confidants to mere acquaintances they do exert a force in our lives. That is what I have in mind when I say few of us walk alone. How many can claim total independence? Would that even be a good thing? I have serious questions about that. We all need guidance, advice and something to temper our actions by. Remember when you were a child and Mom told you about hanging out with the bad kids? She was right about that, others can lead you into trouble. Discerning the good from the bad is a measure of maturity. Some will tell you that is judging others and say that is a bad thing. Every judgement isn't a condemnation! Many people are getting confused about that.
 The practice of discernment may begin with hunches and plain observation. Over time that sense will develop like all others. The things that get in our way are ego and prejudice. When we learn to set those aside we develop discernment. It requires honesty and the acceptance of truth. Honesty with yourself and accepting the truth even when it isn't what we want to hear. Discernment is a personal action. It is the determination of what is right and wrong as measured against your moral sensibilities. That is the judgement that takes place. If you expect everyone else to have the same moral code as yourself, everyone will fall short! You will fall short as well! It is a reciprocity. Even among those that claim a common morality, take Christians as an example, that code is subject to revision based on any number of things. Which is right, which is wrong? Discerning the truth is a personal thing. When I share that discernment with you I am not judging you, I am judging the truth against my own value system. The judgement is not against you! Still, most people receive it in that fashion. Why? The short answer is because of ego. No one wants to be told they are wrong. I understand that.
  There are times when I feel like I'm walking alone. I think we all have that feeling occasionally. When I'm walking alone I am questioning. I'm attempting to read the " signs." What is it that troubles me? Truth is it isn't always because I am troubled, sometimes I'm just enjoying my own company. No one understands me like me. That's my ego talking and sometimes I listen. Nothing wrong with that. I do have to guard against believing everything he says though. You see, I told you few of us walk alone. I have to remind myself of that or I could get lost. Maybe that is what happens to those that commit suicide? That has been in the news lately and a subject I don't understand at all. Hmm, a random thought that made its' way into this conversation. Is that what the signs are telling me? Is the message that I am never really alone? Yes I think that may be it. Of course the question is, just who am I walking with today? I should consider my choice wisely, exercising discernment in that decision. Am I walking in the company of Angels or something else? Do I get to decide? I do, by exercising discernment! 

No comments:

Post a Comment