Thursday, February 1, 2018

the tempest of time

 Here it is February. Many of you will think of Valentines day, that will be the association you make. For me, I think of my friend Richard J Pratt. I know that his birthday is this month, although I can't tell you the exact day. Call it male amnesia but the month is the best I can manage. Now old Rich and I have been friends for at least fifty years ! It is a fact that is on my mind. For over half a century if I was asked the question, who is your best friend, I have answered Richard J Pratt. It is true we haven't been in each others company for a good number of years now, at least ten , but that is the friend he is. 
 Yes, he is the one you read about on Facebook. The one that can go for years and pick up right were we left off. I can remember meeting him for the first time at a birthday party. This party was for a boy named Jimmie Poole and I believe we were in the sixth grade. Our friendship began then. That would have been 1964 so I guess 54 years is closer to the truth. All during our school years we were pretty much together every day. I stayed at his house almost as much as I stayed at my own. It is no exaggeration to say we grew up together. After high school we both joined the Navy, on the buddy system, as it was called back then. We were told we would go to basic training together. We didn't.      Richy can play the saxophone and auditioned for the band. He was accepted and assigned to that company during basic training. I did pass him once on the parade ground. I was admonished for making a gesture toward him. Following basic training we went to our respective service schools. He went on to become a Radar man and I a Machinist Mate. We did get to see each other often during that time. We went to different ships after our schooling was complete. I saw him once in Scotland and once in Germany. In 1975 we were both given our honorable discharges and returned " home. " We even worked at the same place for a while. We were quite the team ! Still my favorite job and filled with good memories. So many stories could be told from such a relatively short period of time. I left that job for personal reasons and rejoined the Navy. We were separated once again and would remain in touch, close friends to this very moment.
 So, it's February and I need to go buy a birthday card. I will write him a letter as well, I usually do. Richy doesn't do social media and catching him on the phone is a rare occurrence. Truly it makes little difference. Whether I am speaking to him in person or in a letter the conversation is a continuation. That is the way it is with us. In some ways we are still living in 1975. Shared memories form the strongest bonds. This friendship has stood the test of fifty some years although not always exposed to the realities of life. We have both suffered lose and had triumphs. Our friendship has withstood the tempest of time. I rest easy, confident that one day two old men will once again meet in 1975 and smile in shared memories. A friendship to last a lifetime. 

No comments:

Post a Comment