Wednesday, February 21, 2018

a tool in time

 Yesterday I posted a picture of a tool online and asked for people to identify it. I provided a brief description. It was fun over the course of the day to read the various responses. There were several guesses that were awful close and some way out there. Now there could be some argument/discussion about its' true name and purpose. I am adamant that it is a crab picking tool. The weighted handle combined with a flat pick convinces me of its' designed function. Yes, you could open an oyster with it but I don't believe it is an oyster knife. Having opened hundreds of clams I can assure you this is not the tool for that. I would even concede that it could possibly be used to do other things but many other tools can be used for things other than there intended purpose.
 This particular crab picking tool was given to me by my wife's sister Joan. She told us it came from the home of their Uncle George. I can't say with 100% faith that she ever told me it was a crab knife. There are initials stamped into the handle GWC. Those initials no doubt stand for George Willard Coffin. The only mystery there is, is it GWC Sr. or Jr. It is quite old judging by the patina. Of course Uncle George was quite old when he passed away. Anyway, this tool had been put away and " lost " for a little while. When it resurfaced yesterday I was reminded of Uncle George.
 I have been told stories about the old days in Baltimore. That is where Uncle George and his family lived. The city of Baltimore is known for its' row homes that formed neighborhoods. Uncle George purchased one those row homes right after the war. World War 2 that is and lived in that same home until his passing. The Maryland blue crab is a central theme and food. Baltimore is famous for its' blue crabs.They say , back in the day, they would hold great crab feasts in the neighborhood. Bushels of steamed crabs dumped onto a large table, cold National Bohemian beer ( Naty Bo ) with corn on the cob. And yes, it was bring your own knife ! That is why that knife had his initials on it, it was a prized possession. Having your own crab knife is like having your own set of Golf clubs or Tennis racket, it is your equipment. You have to have the equipment when you come to the party or you would look like some kind of amateur ! You understand the situation don't you ? I can imagine Uncle George or perhaps his father putting that knife in his coat pocket on the way to the party. Help yourself to the crabs and out comes the knife ! How many crabs has this knife eviscerated ? What sights and sounds has it heard ?
 So I placed that knife in a place where I can see it. Occasionally I'll pick it up and remember. It really is a special little piece of history. It is neat to know who owned it, to be able to say with absolute authority whose initials those are. Ah, but I don't really know for sure whether it is Sr. or Jr.  Jr. was the last to own it that much is certain. Was it handed down ? I'd like to think that is was. Uncle George never married and never had children. He gave it to his niece, who gave it to me, okay to her sister, but I'm her husband so that counts. I'll record the story of this tool and hopefully it gets passed on to one of my children and the journey continue. It isn't done picking crabs either, I'll use it and think of old Baltimore, neighborhoods I never knew, and crab feasts. A good tool is always useful and this one is a classic.  

       

No comments:

Post a Comment