Wednesday, February 28, 2018

a sense of power

 Emboldened or empowered ? They really are different actions. I was thinking about that when having an online discussion the other day. I thought that perhaps the concept of polite company had been lost to generations subsequent to my own. If it has, we have only ourselves to blame. These thoughts came in response to the choice of words used by the other party I was speaking with. She started out polite enough, exchanging thoughts about a meme that had been displayed. To be honest I don't remember what it was about. As the conversation progressed and she felt threatened somehow, perhaps my stating of facts did that, her language became quite coarse. She then directed me to have intimate relations with myself ! She went on to say she was a lady and had been treated unfairly on account of that. I couldn't help but respond with, given your choice of vocabulary, your lady card has been revoked. She responded with some statement about being empowered and it is then I thought, no, you have become emboldened. I ended the discussion and went about my day. The thought went with me.
 As the day wore on I noticed others that seem to have empowered and emboldened confused. That is why we see so much anger, so much brashness in the world. These folks are emboldened by wielding their " rights " like a club. Having been fed a steady diet of " empowerment " and being starved of " humility"  they are bold. The problem is their is a very fine line between bold and bully. What is a bully ? One that wields his power over others, whether it is physical or mental. I'd say using your " rights "to harm others classifies. That is where the concept of polite company enters the picture. I will defer my opinion in deference to the elderly. I will temper my language in certain social situations, and most certainly in mixed company. Yes, I am certainly free to speak, choosing any noun or verb I choose, but I exercise that right with discretion. Interjecting terms and phrases simply for the shock value, what I call the Maury effect, is not an act of empowerment. To me it is nothing more than a lack of respect. I'm not offended so much as disappointed. It is always my hope to have a pleasant exchange of thoughts and ideas with others. I don't go looking for a fight. It is disappointing when all the other person offers is a tirade of expletives and says little of substance.
 Empowered ? Empowerment is a good thing. It's a term thrown around a lot these days. I'm empowered, you are empowered, we are all empowered. It's a verb, an action word. Being empowered gives you power or authority to do something. But as with all power there is a responsibilty. That responsibilty is to exercise that power, that authority, in a prudent fashion. If you just impose that power, that authority over others indiscriminately, you are not being empowered, you are just being a bully ! That other verb, embolden, gives you the courage, or confidence to act. Yes, the difference in meaning is quite a subtle thing. Why do we choose to say we are empowered when it is a good thing ? We don't say I've become emboldened. Empowerment implies what is right and just, embolden does not.
 As to what any of this means I'll leave up to you, the reader. I only try to express my thoughts as best as I can. I'm just not seeing people becoming empowered, What I'm seeing is defiance. I'm seeing a false sense of confidence, of self worth. I'm seeing people standing behind laws as a shield and proclaiming their rights ! They are simply exercising rights without any personal responsibilty. Not empowerment at all, just a sense of power. 

No comments:

Post a Comment