Wednesday, February 14, 2018

high standards

 It was an observation I made some time ago. " Emotion is often an ardent motivator but seldom a good guide. " Seeing things does not mean you always recognize them and so I have had my failures. I have let my emotions guide me and was led astray. " Emotion is not the language of reason. " That was another of my observations. It is really as Spock said, " it is only logical." I have argued some  cases based on emotions and not strictly facts. These are things seen in hindsight and there is no acting upon the past, we can only react. There is only the future and the future is uncertain. It is that uncertainty that stirs emotion and the cycle is repeated.
 Those thoughts returned to me this morning. I'm thinking it was in response to something I saw. Shaun White representing America in the Olympics wins the gold. What a proud moment and a great accomplishment. But then I watch him wrap the flag around him like a blanket of some kind and I cringe. Oh he is not the first or only one to ever do that, far from it. What bothers me is when I see him drag it on the ground and walk on it. For me, my generation, that is a sacrilege. The flag should never touch the ground. I was taught that since I could understand the words. No matter how proud, how jubilant I may become ( emotional ) I would never allow that flag to touch the ground ! I can only shake my head as emotions are conflicted. I'm proud that Shaun White has won the gold for America, for my country,  but at the same time ashamed at his display.
 The reason is a simple one, it is not just a flag, it is a representation of so much more. Also called the National Standard it so named for a very good reason. It does represent Standards ! My standards, my morality and my ethics. It is more than patriotism that drives my response.  For me that flag is so much more than cloth and thread. That flag is to be flown higher than any other flag and is only dipped to honor the dead. The flag does signify life and death. The life and death of a nation ! I will protect that life. I do get emotional, and emotion is not the language of reason.
 I believe there are things beyond reason. Often we call them dreams. Are they reasonable expectations ? In most cases they are not,  yet we are told to pursue them nonetheless. Those that love and support us become our ardent motivators, they become ,well, emotional in their support. Is respecting the flag beyond reason ? I don't believe that it is. In fact I am an ardent supporter of that action. For me that flag represents the dream that is America. And the same thoughts, feelings and motivations that fueled the founders of this nation fuel me to this day. It truly is a dream, the American dream. The flag represents a fundamental truth, " all men are created equal and endowed with certain unalienable rights." You may argue that that right includes dragging the flag on the ground and stepping upon it but I would argue that is just emotion speaking. Emotions are ardent motivators but seldom good guides. Emotion is not the language of reason. Is it reasonable to trample upon the very dream you are fighting for ? I would say hold high your standard as an example to the world. Do not drag your standard in the dirt and step upon it ! Exercise reasonable care and protect that standard. If you are not emotional about that, perhaps you need to review your standards altogether. It is obvious to me, you're missing the whole point.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment