Sunday, February 18, 2018

Generations

 Generations. This morning I find myself looking at generations. I turned on my computer to see a photograph, well technically a digital image but us old folks still call them pictures, of my sisters granddaughter going to the winter dance. She has dyed her hair a purple and is wearing slacks, a white shirt, vest and fedora. Very cute and very chic. My immediate thought was , she must be one of the cool kids. Contemporary to be sure.
 I have to admit I don't really know this young lady. As is the case with a lot of families these days we are spread out over the country. This branch is currently residing in Michigan. To be honest I struggle at times to keep track of all the generations these days. I do know her name is Haylie and her sister is Sabrina. Gee, I hope I got that right. They of course have cousins, a lot of cousins. There are at least ten at last count. We have four living generations and I'm thinking I will be around to see five although I'm not rushing anybody !
 Ideally I would know each and every one of those youngsters but that will never happen. We are all too far afield and the chances of us ever all getting together is slim. Too bad life isn't like a Hallmark movie. I've never really had a chance to get to know my sisters kids, let alone her grandkids. The same is true with my brothers, although I did get to have a very casual acquaintance with my older brothers daughters. And now there are all the little ones, and some not so little anymore. Time sure has a way of passing.
 To return to that picture, er digital image, I saw this morning it inspired this blog. As I said I thought she must be one of the cool kids. I thought that because of the way I was raised. I was not allowed to " express " myself in such " fashion " growing up. There would be no long haired hippie people in my fathers house ! Oh, I tried a bit and pushed the envelope as the saying goes, but only after I paid for those clothes. Still there was no long hair and that sorta thing. You could say we were raised in a more traditional way. Spare the rod and spoil the child was practiced, generously. I can't talk about what my sister and brothers did but I just adopted that attitude of, I don't care. Secretly I did think about being one of the " cool " kids at school. You know the ones, the popular kids that had all the latest stuff and went on all the school trips, were in the school play and that sort of thing. But now, now my sisters granddaughter is one of the cool kids. I'm related to one of the cool kids ! Truly it must be the circle of life I have so often read about. It made me smile and feel a little warmer inside. And it is those things in life that make it all worth it. Generations in the making. It's a wonderful thing.


No comments:

Post a Comment