Monday, February 5, 2018

no audience

 I didn't watch any super bowl so I have nothing to say about that. Did my not watching make a difference ? No, the reality is it did not. Still it was a positive thing as I did show my grandson what it means to stand fast. Whereas he didn't appreciate the whole kneeling thing and agreed, at least in principle that they shouldn't have done that during the national anthem, he continued to watch football. Now the Super bowl is a big deal and highly anticipated. I have never been what you would call an avid fan of the game but I have also been known to host Super bowl parties ! Yesterday when asked if I wanted to come over to watch the big game I told him once again I would not watch. I explained to him about self denial and sacrifice for the things you believe in. I explained that I would deny myself that entertainment as a form of protest whether a single player in the NFL or any owners or even popcorn salesman knew of it. That is called integrity ! Of course he was laughing, but I'm certain it is something he will remember. Life lessons are best taught by the example we set. I showed him that I am no parade ground patriot. If I must stand alone, I will stand alone.
 I'm glad the season is over. It is my hope that something was learned from all of this. I'm hoping some gained perspective that those " players " are there to entertain us. Yes they are entitled to protest and state their opinions on any subject they so choose. I have never denied that, but at the end of the day they are there to amuse me. When they no longer amuse me, I dismiss them as I would an old toy. There are there to make money for the owners and amuse the public in general. If either of those conditions are not met, their career is over. Some are hired to talk about the game after their playing days are through and some sell used cars. It's true that some have gone into politics and even been elected to Congress, at which point I would be interested in their views. Considering the compensation they receive for playing a game it is my opinion they should be respectful of the feelings of those buying the tickets if for no other reason than common sense. As I showed my Grandson I can survive without football.
 The lesson I hoped to teach my grandson and granddaughter by all of this is a simple one. It is the things you do when no one is watching, when no one is cheering you on that often make the difference in the world. Sticking to your principles and beliefs requires no audience. When you lie your head down at night with the knowledge you were true to yourself sleep comes easy. Listen to your conscience not the crowd and do not be deceived. Don't just stand with the crowd, stand out ! 

No comments:

Post a Comment