Thursday, November 9, 2017

without a net

 I watched another advertisement for some kind of rehabilitation center. It is just another in a stream of those ads. I can only assume business is booming. The spokesperson was citing figures and statistics that were eye opening. I caught the fact that it had been determined only 11 % of the people needing this help were actually getting it ! That's right, they felt there should be an increase in business of at least 89% ! The implication was clear,  few of us can make it on our own. Of course from my viewpoint that help needs to come from your belief in a higher power. That is just one step nowadays in at least twelve you have to take. I haven't checked it out but I wouldn't be surprised to learn there are a few more steps to be taken beyond the twelve, along with medication. I'm thinking it probably requires some sort of continuing care, at a continuing cost. But then I've been accused of being a skeptic.
 Now I won't deny that life can be hard. It isn't easy to walk the straight and narrow. We all slip now and again. When that happens we must regain our balance and continue on. It can be similar to walking a tight rope. When things are going good, going your way so to speak, it is easy. Then something goes wrong, that rope begins to sway beneath you, and you hesitate. You do feel like you are going to fall.
 In the past we relied upon our ability to recover. It would seem these days we are working with a net ! That is what all these rehabilitation centers are about. They are safety nets. They are provided to negate the consequences of failure. You are not held to account. You will get another chance, a do-over. Having fallen into the net many are rewarded for that action. The fear of falling is reduced, the desire to remain on the straight and narrow isn't as important. Confidence is replaced by what ? Reliance, arrogance and pride is the answer. I can just do as I please and not suffer any consequence. I will be empowered ! Isn't that the message being sent, a message of empowerment. Should I fall and land safely in the net that isn't a failure, it is an empowerment. I'm a survivor ! Well, I'd say you have been recued. The lesson you should learn is humility, not empowerment. Oh but that isn't the lesson plan for today is it ? We will be empowered by those failures and hold them up for everyone to see and admire. See, I failed and survived ! The message is clear enough, you can too. According to that ad, 89% of us should be doing just that. Why aren't we falling into the net ! It's a failure.
 Now I've been accused of being old fashioned and a skeptic. Okay, old fashioned is too gentle a description of what some say about my view of things. The string of adjectives to complete that thought isn't necessary, you can fill in the blanks for yourself. My point being I have seen a fundamental shift in the way our children are being raised. I was taught to work without a net ! If I slipped and fell it was I that had to pay the price. I may or may not get a do-over. The implication was always, probably not. The other part of that was if you required the use of a safety net that wasn't anything to be proud of. Yes, it was expected you would be ashamed of yourself. That was for a simple reason, you were also expected to know better ! You were to blame, not inanimate objects, peer pressure, or political correctness.
 What I heard in that ad and so many like it was this, it is alright to fall. Fall as many times as you need, we are here to catch you. As long as you can pay the price of admission you can remain in the circus. Sure you can't perform very well but that's alright. Fall enough times and we'll make you a spokesman ! It isn't pity that is being extended, it is admiration ! That's the message being sent these days. You will be admired for your courage ! You're a survivor ! And this is where I  get labeled, I say you failed. You should acknowledge that failure as a shortcoming, not a victory. The goal in life is not to fall into the net, but stay on the wire. We should be teaching our children to work without a net ! Instead of telling us 89% more people should use that net, the goal should be that 11% less require it.  
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment