Wednesday, November 29, 2017

serendipity

 It is true that there are times when the simplest things give us pleasure. A while back I had my great grandfathers clock repaired and it sits there now marking the time once again. Every now and again I glance over and see that pendulum gliding back and forth and for some reason I find comfort there. It's nothing in particular , just an overall feeling of contentment. I remember that clock siting at my parents house but it was never running. It just sat on the shelf silently, the brass frame gathering tarnish. Even then I admired it for its' aesthetic beauty. The case was made by Tiffany and Company. The face of that clock is porcelain and hand painted with a delicate floral theme. My clock guy says that clock is over a hundred years old. All I know for sure is, I like it.
 The story behind that clock is uncertain. There were rumors that it was a wedding gift but that theory seems unlikely. That clock would have been a fairly expensive gift and my ancestors would not have had that amount to spend on a gift. They certainly weren't wealthy people and that would have been a wealthy person gift. There is also the fact that there is another clock, of similar value, that came from great grandfathers house. That clock is in the possession of my sister. It is close to the same age as the one I have. She tells me hers isn't running but is sitting on the mantle anyway. The mystery of where or how great grandfather came into possession of those clocks haunted me for some time. After some time Mom offers another theory. Why she never mentioned this before I'll never understand but for years all I got from her was, I don't know. But anyway, Mom says that great grandfather Lester worked for a wealthy lady whose name may have been Morris. Mrs. Morris I was told was quite fond of Floyd, as an employer to an employee. I have a picture of him raking leaves in this ladies yard. He was in his later years then, probably in his seventies. Even then, social security didn't pay much and you needed to supplement that. When Mrs. Morris either moved or passed away great grandfather was given those clocks. That is the theory Mom has and it seems plausible enough. Truth is I will never know the whole story but it doesn't matter much. The story of that clock begins with my great grandfather in my telling of it. I think of him every time I hear it strike the hour or half hour. It has become a piece of  home. It's like an old friend.
 I do find it comforting that it sits there marking the time. It just seems so serendipitous. I remember it sitting on that shelf at home unused and neglected. It wasn't something I ever asked for, there was no great longing on my part. I came to get it after my father passed away. Mom was getting remarried and cleaning out her house. For whatever reason she decided she didn't want this clock, or the other one for that matter, and gave the one to me. I had it for a good while before I got it repaired. It is my hope that clock remains in the family for generations to come. I'll certainly record the history of it as best as I know. I can't help but wonder where it will land a hundred years from now. Wherever that is I also hope it is still marking the time. Time, relentless and unchanging. Serendipity indeed.


   

No comments:

Post a Comment