Saturday, November 4, 2017

The volunteering victim

 When I heard the news that Bergdahl would receive no prison time I was angered. My initial reaction was, how could this be ? This man is an admitted deserter. Not only did he desert his post but he endangered many fine soldiers. The soldiers that went in search of him were injured and had to fight for their lives. I'm certain they didn't want to be there any more that Bergdhal did. Did they desert their post ? Did they shirk their duty ? The answer to all those question is, No they did not. The more I read about the case the more angered I became. The defense was actually using the fact that he was held prisoner as an excuse for his behavior. How ridiculous is that ? He gave himself up to the enemy !! That isn't being taken prisoner, that is volunteering ! He volunteered to join the U.S. Army and when he didn't like that he volunteered to give himself up to the enemy. If he didn't want to do that he could have refused to obey orders and been sent back to the United States for punishment. But no, his choice was to wander off. The defense also had some physiatrist testify about some mental illness Bergdhal had. I want to meet this doctor. Just how can you tell me what he was thinking or feeling six or eight years ago ? How do you analyze somehow in the past ? Who are you, Houdini ? If that is the case why didn't you say something back then ? Obviously you are some kind of time traveler.  Yes, I'm upset. The last administration made the decision to trade five known terrorists in exchange for this piece of crap. Whereas I understand the intent , were it me I hope the trade would still be made, to leave this guy unpunished is a travesty. Everything that happened to him was of his own making ! In my eyes he isn't a victim, he was a volunteer !
 After I calmed down a bit, and had time to think, I grew even more concerned. What message has just been sent to our troops ? Is the message now, if I don't like it I can just walk away ? What of the oath Bergdahl took ? Does that oath mean nothing ? Yes I guess that is the deal here, just take a knee ! Give yourself over to the enemy and gain leniency for your suffering ? He is given a dishonorable discharge and has to forfeit a thousand dollars a month for ten months. Yeah, he gets to keep half his pay ! A dishonorable discharge ? Like this man has any honor in the first place. Do you really think that is a punishment to him ? Do you ? Oh but these liberal folks in the country will be giving him everything now. We have to be compassionate, expressing empathy for his actions. Well my empathy would be delivered with a 45 caliber. He was a deserter and a traitor to our country. A man with no honor whatsoever. Oh, but he was reduced in rank to private ! He was given a dishonorable discharge, his rank doesn't matter ! Who cares what his rank used to be ? Guess I still haven't calmed down.
 I guess we are going to have to change the oath of enlistment.
  "I, _____, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."
 That is the oath he took. Where does it say, unless I decide I don't want to ?  You are required to swear, or affirm to that. Well if I can change my mind on that, what about when I testify in court ? Can I change my mind then too ? I'll just lie, walk off, and complain about being a victim. If that is going to be the case we must remove that opening phrase from the oath. It would have to be replaced with, " I might " if I don't disagree with the President or Officers appointed over me, do my duty, unless it becomes inconvenient, and follow the regulations, sometimes. I agree that I can be tried using the Uniform Code of Military Justice. I guess you could leave the phrase so help me God in there although it carries no meaning to a person like Bergdahl.
 I am personally ashamed of the sentence he received. Where is the honor in serving ? This guy should not be allowed to walk free. You want to be with the Taliban, I'll gladly give you back to them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment