Wednesday, November 15, 2017

justifiably armed ?

 I have read several stories about reactions to that horrific church shooting in Texas. As is expected they range from doing nothing, to the extreme opposite. Naturally emotions are high. There are some that are calling for the parishioners to come armed. Some are for placing a rifle in the pulpit ! Armed guards and security checks ? As tragic an event as that Texas shooting was, I struggle to justify taking such actions. I was taught, and unless something has changed, that places of worship are the house of God. It just doesn't seem right to turn them into armed fortresses.
 I remember when I was young the church doors were never locked. You were always welcome. The idea of locking the door at night wasn't a thing. I can't say for sure when that changed or exactly why. I expect it was because of vandalism, theft or other behaviors making it a necessity. That was the response to those that would do evil, we tried to just lock them out. The idea that someone would rob or otherwise cause damage to a church just wasn't thought about. It truly was a different time in America. Social attitudes were far different. I do have to say I was living in a very rural area and crime in general was very low. In larger cities and towns the circumstances may have been different. But, in my experience, locking the doors of the church caused a bit of consternation, not only to myself, but to the community in general. Truth is, it still does on a personal level. Now I'm hearing about arming ourselves before we go to church. Suit and tie and a forty five.
 The church should be a bastion of Christian values. I do not believe we should turn them into fortresses. Shouldn't we be trusting our God to defend us ? I'm having a hard time reconciling the idea that I should come armed, ready to defend myself, while praising the Lord. If we feel the necessity to go armed to church, shouldn't we be armed at all times ? The possibility exists that another person with a gun will attempt to do harm wherever we go. If we feel that threat so strongly in our churches and synagogues, why not the grocery store or Burger King ? The case can then be made for everyone being armed, everywhere, all the time. The notion that there are armed people that will only use their weapon for good ( the white hats ) and there are those that only use their guns for bad ( the black hats ) is a fiction made in Hollywood. And proper training will not negate the possibility of mistakes being made. Remember when it comes to gun battles the one shooting first usually wins ! That's just how that works.
 The consequences of these choices are life and death. Yes, I believe we have a right to defend ourselves. At the same time Jesus did teach to turn the other cheek. He said in regard to the statement about an eye for an eye verses in the old testament. I understand the majority of us are not up to that task. I can say, without reservation, that I am not. I will defend myself. I will fall short in the eyes of God and rely upon his mercy. That doesn't mean that I should take that mercy for granted, I will be judged ! As I have stated before, Remember : you only have to fear judgement if you are guilty. Does God judge you innocent if you come armed, ready for a fight ? Is it justified if you don't fire first ?  I have no answer for any of  this. I'm thinking it comes down to deciding what you fear more, the judgement of a crazed gunman, or the judgement of God. Granted the one is more immediate than the other. Truly these are times that test our faith.
 I think about all of this while supporting the second amendment. Yes, I do believe we all have a right to bear arms. A well armed militia is necessary to the security of a free state. Soldiers have always had to set aside their religious belief to justify war. The old testament is full of violence. We had the crusades to reclaim the Holy lands. So, it is not unheard of, this notion of, Onward Christian Soldiers. The difficulty lies in reconciling the two. The difficulty comes from trying to reconcile Gods law with mans law. That is why the separation of church and state in the first place. God will not judge us in civil matters, only in matters of faith. That is what God demands of us, faith. Then the question becomes, can you separate faith from civil responsibility ? You can, as long as you don't use one to justify the other. It is a civil responsibility to protect those around me from harm as best as I can. I have no right to stand idly by relying solely upon my belief for intervention on another's behalf. I can " turn my cheek " but that doesn't relieve me of an obligation to help you. That is a social responsibility. We have even made law regarding that. We call them " good Samaritan " laws. I can't just walk by you as you lie in distress saying, God will save you. Does that mean I have an obligation to carry a gun to church ? Does that mean you are wrong to carry a gun to church ? Again I am left wondering. 

No comments:

Post a Comment