Tuesday, November 21, 2017

seek the constant

 I've been writing and sharing my thoughts for about seven years now. It's hard to believe but the evidence is there. I do read them over every now and again. A title will catch my interest and I wonder what I was talking about. No, I don't remember everything I have ever written. I remember the stories, for the most part, but not necessarily the thoughts. I am pleased that my thoughts haven't changed very much from when I started. Oh, I know, the current narrative says I should be constantly changing my mind about things, being progressive and all, but I don't see what is wrong with just making a decision and sticking to it. I see a lot of folks stating the obvious and declaring that as some sort of revelation. Examples include, don't be a bully and don't be a racist. Yeah, see that a lot. Thing is, I've known that since childhood and it hasn't changed since. I pretty much feel the same way about most things. Fact is I can't think of any fundamental change I have made. I still believe in God, I still believe in telling the truth, and I still believe that most people are good. I still trust my instincts however, and act or react accordingly. Sometimes I'm accused of being prejudiced because of that. I call it having common sense and exercising discretion. Better safe than sorry ! Remember that old saying ?
 I understand their are few absolutes in the world. The sun will rise in the east and set in the west is one of them. What happens between those two events is less certain. It is up to you to provide a stable foundation. You can't live a life filled with chaos. In order to gain that stability you have to decide upon some things. Constantly changing your " beliefs " will not give you a solid basis for living. Oh you may gain temporary acceptance among others like yourself, but in the long run it will all come crumbling down. The reason is obvious, you don't have a solid foundation, when you rely upon public opinion to prop you up. You can't just keep changing your mind to please others. Others are not living your life ! And that, my friends, is what I think about that. I may not have much, but my life is my own. Along with that, my mission is not to change your life. Should you agree with me that's wonderful, should you disagree that's alright too. There is room enough for us all. We can talk it over and hopefully reach a compromise. Compromise isn't me saying you're right and I'm wrong. Seems a lot of folks are confused about that these days. Compromise isn't picking a side, it is standing in the middle.
 I suspect if I were to read all my postings as a whole I could find inconsistencies. Would those inconsistencies be were I changed my mind ? I don't think that is necessarily so. Our mood plays a big role in all of that. It does depend upon what was happening at the time I wrote that piece. There are things I haven't made my mind up about. Yes, there are things I just haven't made a final decision on. Those are the things that haven't really affected me ; yet. Maybe they never will. Knowing how you will react to a new situation is always speculation, no matter how prepared you may feel. Your initial response may be exactly as you thought it would be only to discover later on, it isn't ! Don't you hate it when you are faced with the truth. Those are the times that test our character.
 I think what we should be seeking are the constants. How can you define anything without having a constant to compare it against ? We are all searching for answers, answers to life. We all ask the same questions. We are never going to arrive at the same answers if we don't have a set of constants. Just like doing a mathematical problem, a constant is required. The constant must be defined. You have to define your own constants in order to arrive at your answers. If you rely upon others to define those constants you will not get an answer at all. All you will get is disappointment and disillusioned. A lot of that happening these days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment