Friday, September 9, 2016

Just because I can

There is an old saying, just because you can, doesn't mean you should. It is my feeling that too many in this country have forgotten that advice or never heard it in the first place. The first example that pops to mind is this football player I hear about. He is " protesting " America, or some such thing by disrespecting our Flag and the entire Nation. Yes, yes, I know he is guaranteed that right by the constitution. Doesn't mean he should though. Yes it will gain attention , no doubt about that, but will it gain support for his cause ? Maybe, but not from me because I'm angry about what he is doing ! I don't have a problem with you stating your opinion, I just take exception to the way you are doing it. By this display of contempt and disrespect you hope to gain favor ? Doesn't seem logical to me. But I'm not that concerned with a football player. He is nothing to me and will undoubtedly fade away.
 That old saying is speaking to morality. Morals are self imposed. There is no written law to enforce morality that will hold up in a court of law. That is why we have the separation of church and state. Ethics can be violated and punishment issued by the court. It is my belief that disrespecting the flag and the nation is morally wrong. He can do it, no law against that, but he shouldn't. It is more than that though, it is the direction the country is taking that is most troubling. If we teach our children to rely solely on written law what will happen to their conscience ? They will never develop one is my feeling. Their rationale for action will be, it is within the law. The law tells us what we can not do. Morals teaches us what we should do. It really makes no difference what label you apply, God, creator, Buddha or whatever, isn't that what is being taught, Morals ? If we remove morals in favor of law what is left ? Morals are self imposed !
 That is all I have to say about this. I find it troubling to say the least. I see our society abandoning morals in favor of the law. The " just because I can " is becoming the motivator. Very troubling indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment