Thursday, July 7, 2016

Character Counts

  Has the dream been shattered ? Is that the underlying cause of all this unrest ? I think the case could be made for that. When the people can no longer place their trust in government, dreams begin to fade.
 "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation
where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character."
– Martin Luther King, I Have a Dream Quote


Telling isn't it how Dr. King finished that sentence with the " content of their character. " That is the very issue we are facing today. This election cycle has highlighted that well above all else. It is the content of their character that matters in the end. The importance lies not in the color of their skin or their gender ! Career politician versus businessman. Both should be judged on the content of their character. The choices presented to the American people fail miserably. There was a candidate that based his platform on character. He was decimated ! On March 4th of this year Ben Carson dropped from the race following " super Tuesday " results. The pundits cited his lack of experience, poor knowledge on foreign policy and being an " outsider. " True, he was no career politician and was out funded and outmatched. His character counted for little in the end and that is just more testimony to what is going on in America.
 I'm not writing an advocacy for Ben Carson as president. I was using that as an example. As to whether he would have made a good president or not I can not speak. He is a man, like all others and has his shortcomings. I do believe he showed more class and character than most however. It wasn't to be, as the American people have chosen otherwise. At the high school my grandson attends they have a poster that says, " Character Counts. " It is a motto for the school. It is a shame more Americans haven't attended that school or learned that lesson. Indeed I would much rather have a person of character, regardless of their race or gender, than one that is lacking in that regard. I understand that winning at " Survivor " and in the " Big Brother House " does not require that quality but I feel it a very redeeming thing. Quality of character is of paramount importance for the leader of the free world. 
 And so what are we faced with ? We get to choose between the lesser of two evils. I find I can not subscribe to that rationale. I must, of necessity, abstain. To give any support to a candidate simply because you don't like the other is ridiculous. I would rather write another name in entirely ! Perhaps that is what I will do in the end. Neither of the candidate presented have that content of character I require. Yes, they must meet my expectations if they wish to receive my vote. I will not give them a pass because they are Republican or because she is a woman. I don't care what you are as long as you meet my expectations !
 Dr. King spoke of a dream. His dream is the same as everyone else. The American dream. To live in a land where you are free to pursue your life and your interests unimpeded by race or gender. To become an American ! And Americans value character above all else. You have to be brave to be an American. The brave speak out in protest, and take action when necessary. True Americans place value in truth and justice. Why, it's the American way ! Or, at least it was. I pray that the dream lives on. Whatever the outcome of this election I sincerely pray for the restoration of America. All we need is a leader. A person of unquestioned character. We had one once, a nation under God ! Choose him again is what I say.   

No comments:

Post a Comment