Wednesday, February 10, 2016

The Lessons of Lent

 Today is the first day of Lent. As a child growing up I was told I had to give something up for lent. The usual thing was candy. Then, come Easter morning, the bunny arrived and brought all that candy That tradition still survives in my house and with the grandchildren. It isn't taken quite as seriously as it was in past years. I believe that is the normal course of things. When we get older we find more reasons for not " giving up " things we enjoy. We don't necessarily forget the lessons that we were taught, we just find ways to justify not doing that.
 What was that lesson ? Without writing a sermon about it I will just say it was about sacrifice. Jesus gave his life for me, the least I can do is give up candy for him. That wouldn't guarantee my entry to heaven, but it was a sort of toll to be paid. I learned that by giving up things you liked,  you will gain even better things in the end. That basket full of candy ! The lesson was doing the things that just make you happy are not always the best. You had to do the things that are right. If you are to live your life, following Christ, you must also bear that cross. In reality it was more of a test of willpower than anything else. Willpower and honesty. Could you resist that candy ? And sneaking a piece when no one was looking wasn't an option, God sees everything. You can't cheat God ! You have to do the things that are right, even when no one is looking. Those were those lessons.
 Easter, for me, will always be associated with getting new church clothes as well. I always got new shoes, shirt and pants. Most years I got a new suit jacket too. You had to look your very best for Easter Sunday services. Jesus was risen and you were going to meet him. A new life is beginning. I don't think I really understood all of that, but Mom was excited about it so I was too. Easter was a big deal. Not as big as Christmas but it was close. New clothes and candy and maybe a toy or two thrown in there.
 Today, being Ash Wednesday, I remember seeing the Catholics with those ashes smeared on their foreheads. Seemed to me I saw that a lot. In more recent years I have seen fewer and fewer. I wonder if there are just fewer Catholics around these parts, or is that tradition passing into history ? I don't have any plans on giving anything up. It is not a requirement in the Christian faith. The season of Lent is supposed to be a period of abstinence, penance, and reflection. We should live our whole life in that matter, but I'll leave that to the Preacher to instill upon you. I'm not sure what the Grandkids are doing. Last year Mark gave up Kit Kats, Morgan didn't participate. All I remember is giving something up and it lasted for a few days. The lesson was taught and we were reminded. Our lives were a bit more surrounded by the Church calendar back then. Palm Sunday is next. The season of Epiphany has ended and Lent has begun. We have received much, let us reflect upon that gift. 

No comments:

Post a Comment