Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Text or conversation

 I'm not a big fan of texting. That seems funny from someone that writes a blog every day. A blog is a text. But text and texting have taken on a whole different meaning over the years. It appears to me you text someone when you don't want to talk to them. I mean why else would you not just call them ? I don't get it, especially when you send multiple texts back and forth. Seems like a lot of effort to communicate.
 I will send a text when I feel the necessity to do so. It is like sending someone a postcard. I do it to just convey a short message that may or may not require a response. I do not expect an answer immediately. If I want a response I'll call you. You know the problem I have with texting ? It removes the emotion. Oh, they try inserting those emoticons and emoji's but they just don't cut it. I need to hear your voice to fully grasp the message. That is the subtlety of communication that is lost with this texting stuff. It also allows for a longer response time which isn't always a good thing. Are you checking to see if you have a " better " offer before agreeing to meet me ? Of course, this texting is also a semi permanent thing as well. I have seen these " texts " used in a court of law. This is what you said, here it is and it is confirmed by Ma Bell. Well, at least it is one of Ma Bells kids, Verizon, Sprint or some step child like One Talk.
 I do find it amusing that we have created all this technology, and wind up passing notes like we did during our school days. Be careful that the teacher or Mom doesn't intercept it. I hear they have some " application " that acts like disappearing ink, You send your note but it disappears in a few minutes. I don't remember the name of it but it is popular with the younger crowd. It is also the home of predators. The big advancement, if that is what you want to call it, is this ability to send pictures. The closest thing in my day was the polaroid. Expensive and taking a selfie was extremely difficult. Having to have another person did add a layer of oversight ! As long as you had a good friend you could be saved from making poor decisions. Notice they had to be a " good " friend. Having kids oversee their peers isn't a very reliable measure. That is the reason we hear so much about this problem !
 I do get annoyed when I am with someone and they start texting. No excuse me, I need to send a message, just thumbs on the phone texting while they pretend to be talking to you. Would you start writing a letter under the same conditions ? Hey, if you want to talk to someone else just say so ! Makes me feel like you are not really listening to what I have to say. If it is a text it can wait, can't it ? Or do you expect an immediate response to that text ? If you do, call them. That's my thinking on this anyway. If I feel the urgent need to text I will just say, excuse me for a minute, I need to send this text. I will include some excuse for doing so like " before I  forget. " If my phone rings while I am talking with you I will glance to see who it is. If I feel it is important I will say, excuse me I need to take this call.
 All this texting is distracting us from the present moment. We should be fully aware of the moment. If you are sending text messages your mind is somewhere in the future. Pay attention will ya ! Along with that there is a breakdown in communication. We are forgetting how to have an actual conversation. Conversation is more than speak and respond. A conversation is an exchange of ideas. Merely sending and receiving responses to questions or statements is not conversing. That action is a distillation. Like a postcard the object is to convey your message as briefly as possible. Brevity is not conducive to conversation. Abrupt responses can be misleading. Conversations involve thought. Some thoughts require explanation. Conversations involve the entire spectrum of human interaction. Thoughts, emotions and a degree of empathy. Difficult, if not impossible , to include in a text message. When those texts do include all of that they are called " letters " or " books. "
 I do have a rather small circle of friends. Perhaps that is why I do not feel the need to text as often as others. I simply give them a call. If they don't answer, I'll call back later. Leaving a message is like sending a text to me, only if it is very important. I feel obligated to respond to written correspondence like cards or letters. Maybe that is because I understand the effort it took to write them and then mail them. I feel like it is time you spent thinking about me and I should reciprocate. Funny I don't feel that way about a text message. There was a time when we devoted some time to answering our correspondence. When I was in the Navy writing letters home it was like time spent with whomever I was writing. Receiving those letters was like they were visiting. Text messages just seem impersonal to me, like a telegram. I never got one but I imagine that is how it would feel. Telegrams are not associated with good news. Is that the psychology behind this ? Could be. A few words - stop - a few more - stop.  Isn't that how a telegram went ? Maybe it is just that I don't like to stop talking. It is just a good an explanation as any.

No comments:

Post a Comment