Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Stressing out

 When I was a small child my Mom told me, " if whatever you're doing you feel you need to hide, you probably shouldn't be doing it. " Words of wisdom and ones I haven't forgotten. I have found the truth in those words on more than one occasion. I was reminded of that advice when listening to the hoopla surrounding the unlocking of that I-phone. Apple claiming that unlocking that one phone will open the floodgates and wash away all our privacy. They claim they would have to create new software or an application to do so. I even heard on the news this morning that folks were protesting outside of stores demanding that Apple not comply with a federal warrant to unlock this device. They fear for their privacy. And it is that that leads me back to my original statement. " If whatever you are doing you feel the need to hide, you probably shouldn't be doing it. " I am left wondering just what are all those folks hiding on their phones ? This one phone was the property of terrorists and killers. The Federal Bureau of Investigation is asking for help and Apple refuses. To me that is tacit support for the criminals. I mean really, the people that built and designed this phone expect me to believe they cannot bypass the encryption. Do they also expect me to believe that their phones are so secure that this hasn't already been done by some kid in a garage. The whole " refusal " thing appears as a marketing ploy to me. Well because we are all anti-government these days, except when we want the free stuff that is. Toss Apple a tax break and watch how fast that phone is unlocked !
 Now I understand there may be business or financial data on some of those phones. I just question the wisdom of using them as a secure storage device in the first place. I don't believe the average everyday person has such vital information stored on their phones that it should be shielded from the FBI. We all demand and expect security yet are refusing to provide any help ? The reality is, nothing is 100% secure no matter what Apple tells you. Some kid in his bedroom hacked into the Pentagon computers I'm sure an I-phone isn't a big deal. I don't get why the FBI is even asking, I'm certain they can, and more likely already have, unlocked that device. I read somewhere they changed the passcode already. Another confusing aspect in all of this is why does the average citizen feel the government wants to spy on them ? But more importantly I want to know what is it that you are hiding ? Maybe, just maybe you shouldn't be doing whatever it is you're doing and that is why your concern is so great. Guilt perhaps ? I do not even own an I-phone but I can assure you if I did I wouldn't have anything on there that would need to be hidden from the FBI. If they really wanted to look at my pictures, I would share them. I have learned over the years that there is only one way to keep a secret, don't tell anybody ! That was true was I was a child and has remained a fact to this day. Do not write it down, record it in any fashion, or confide that information to anyone else and it remains a secret. That is how it works.
 In 1969 the Internet became a reality. Since that time we have digitized our lives.  Computers and all the other little devices that have been introduced have been recording our every word. If you put it on anyone of these devices it remains there. I'm not as savvy as the younger folks but I listen to the news. Taking screenshots is one method of preserving data. There is always a way. When we first used a telephone an operator could easily listen in, that can still be done. Cell phones are not secure communication devices either. They operate at ultra high frequency ranges but can be " tapped " into by those knowledgeable in such things. Digital media of any type is not 100% secure ! The reason is a simple one, it is media ! It stores and distributes data. Not a difficult concept to understand at all. If you have something to hide, don't put it on there.
 A warrant has been issued by a federal magistrate. We all would agree we must abide by the rule of law. It is a legal and biding document. Refusal to comply is punishable by law as well. Private individuals, nor corporations get to override the Construction of the United States. How many of you would have even known that I-phone was unlocked if Apple had just quietly taken it into their lab and complied ? How do you known they haven't already done so ? Well, don't put anything on those devices you wouldn't want the federal government to know about and you have no worries. Being a secret agent or a spy is very stressful. Don't do it, don't stress out !

No comments:

Post a Comment