Tuesday, December 31, 2013

There is a season

New Years, for some New Years is just an excuse to go out and for others an excuse to stay in . I have been on both sides of that debate. In my younger days it was definitely an excuse to go out and act foolish. Overindulgence often caused myself and others to act like a new years baby. Now, in my maturity I stay at home and drink coffee. In some ways I still act like the new years baby, I go to bed early. Now New Years Eve is just the end of the holiday season to me. January the first marks the beginning of a new year on the calender and begins a period of renewal. A renewal of the earth as the plants lie dormant, resting, resting and waiting for the arrival of spring and the healing powers of the sun. The days are already getting longer but in my area of this world the coldest part of winter has yet to arrive. This is the time of year we spend indoors, as much as possible, and renew ourselves as well. I believe that is as the creator intended. Man has tried to alter the environment and has done so, albeit, not very effectively or wisely. There is a season for all things.
Checking my copy of the King James version of the bible that is stated in Ecclesiastes 3:1 " To everything there is a season,and a time to every purpose under the heaven. "
We are entering a time for indoor pursuits. At least that is the way it used to be. Oh I'm sure man has always enjoyed some pursuits outdoors in the winter months, some for survival, and others for recreation, but I think it is safe to say with the cold and darkness we spend most of our time indoors during this time. Perhaps we do some indoor crafts or read. In the modern world we have so many distractions that cabin fever is not an issue. I can imagine that it was a problem a hundred years ago or so. Was that problem a design ? Was it actually a stimulant ? Was the intent to give man time for renewal as well ? It does seem like it should be a part of the natural order of the universe. Just seems reasonable, a time to rest a bit from the labor of just existing. A time to reflect,reevaluate and refresh.
I can imagine what it was like in the not too distant past. The harvest had been gathered and the barn made snug. The animals are gathered and being kept close at hand. The snow lies heavily upon the ground and frost is on the windows. There is little to do but sit in front of the fire. A time to be social and share thoughts and ideas. A time to plan for the future. A time to rest. I think we miss that period all too often in this modern world. Now we take vacations, but get little rest on those. We are always planning activities. I think a period of inactivity is what is best. Yes, I believe there is a season for all things and the season for rest and renewal is at hand.

                                                                                       

No comments:

Post a Comment