Friday, December 27, 2013

Moving On

The promise has been filled, Christmas has come. I look around my home and the decorations seem to be saying, what am I doing here ? The tree with it's lights aglow looks more than a lamp now and I wonder why that should be so. The shelf sitters and candles, garland and wreaths, holiday motifs, now out of season. On new years day I will pack them all away. In the last few years  that has become my custom. So, into the big totes and to the attic they will go.
For the new year the house gets cleaned top to bottom. The house will be put back into everyday mode. It is the day to begin another year. This year is an even year. I am not really superstitious but 13 isn't a favorite number. Fourteen sounds better, if not a bit older. Two Thousand Fourteen does have a ring to it.
We have a tradition of eating sauerkraut on New Years day. It is supposed to bring you health and wealth. I am glad to say so far the health part seems to be working, as for the wealth, well . When I was younger it wasn't so but in the last decade or so New Years involves fireworks. Downtown, in the city of Baltimore they are having a laser light show. Over twenty years ago, when I first moved to Greensboro, at the stroke of midnight all the neighbors shot their guns,rifles and pistols. It was a little surprising to me but hey, it is what they do. It continues to this day as a tradition here, but scaled down quite a bit.
The big new years celebrations are a thing of the past for me. I no longer stay up and wait for the big moment. I may sit up a little later than usual, but the odds of making midnight are slim. No more Guy Lombardo and the Royal Canadians, no more Dick Clark. What is offered ? Ryan Seacrest ? Really, sounds more like a beach motel at Montauk or some such place. Well, all things in its' time. And time marches forward.


No comments:

Post a Comment