Friday, December 6, 2013

Get the Gift

It is December the 6th and I have already been to a Christmas dinner and a parade. Back in the days of my youth that would have encompassed the whole holiday, but today, it is only the beginning. Another parade is on the agenda for Saturday. I also have several other events to look forward to. Maybe there is something to this notion of, a little too much and too early with the Christmas celebrations. Although I suppose I should be saying Holiday events to be correct.
I enjoy the season as much as the next guy. I like seeing all the lights and decorations. It is truly a celebration. When you are a child it is the anticipation of the gifts you may receive that drive your motivations. As an adult it should be the same. The anticipation of the birth of Jesus is what we should be focused upon. Unfortunately, for many, that part of the celebration is being taken for granted. Yes, I believe Jesus was born 2014 years ago in Bethlehem. And with his birth he gave the gift of eternal life. Each year we celebrate that gift. A gift we can all receive if we but ask for it ! We should all be excited in anticipation of the fulfillment of that wish, of that gift. That is the miracle of Christmas.
These thoughts of mine are not meant to be a sermon. I assure you I am no evangelical. I carry my faith in my own heart and try not to impose it upon others. I will gladly share my beliefs with you and have no shame in them. I leave the mission work to the missionaries. I was very pleased to see more Christian faith related themes in the parade last night than I have seen in years past. Perhaps I am seeing a growing trend. I hope that is true. The pendulum swings slowly and changes occur, history does repeat.
And so I say, bring it on ! Bring on Christmas and the hope that comes with it. We could all use a little more good cheer and good will toward man. Light the lights or as I like to say, " Strike the harp and join the Chorus " Fa la la la la, la la la laaaa ! "
This is what I'm talking about !

No comments:

Post a Comment