Thursday, December 19, 2013

Observations

Yesterday with my blog, and later among some friends, I was talking about society in general. Working at the grocery affords me ample opportunity to observe. I do enjoy watching people act and react. A lot has changed over the years. I know it is always a precarious thing, to make generalized statements, but I boldly go forth anyway. If I am foolish, I would say it is in my nature to be so. I have never taken life, or a least the living of it, too seriously. Life, here on Terra firma, is fleeting to say the least. It is my relationship with my fellow inhabitants that I take seriously. And now I find it increasingly difficult to interact with them. Our society is not as social as it once was. Living inside our own little bubbles and only interacting with the " outsiders " when necessary. This is an increasing trend with all the electronics allowing us to stay in touch with those inside our bubble, and the ability to just " order in " whatever it is you desire. Some are now working from home and thus avoiding that contact as well. Strange how man has advanced throughout the ages only to find ourselves hiding in the " cave " for fear of harm.
The greatest challenge to man has always been his fellow man. That is truth. Started with Cain and Abel. Man in his righteousness and might has always attacked his fellow man. In the beginning it was brute strength, that was the power. Then money came along. Money begat power. With money great armies could be raised as man was willing to sacrifice his principles for monetary gain. Man in his desire for ever more power. That continues even unto today. I fear it will ever be so, as man will kill man in his attempt to control.
Religions have formed over the centuries to try to curb this cycle. The major religions of the world all follow the same basic precepts. Those precepts speak to how to treat your fellow man. In most cases the reward for following these laws is everlasting life, and the punishment banishment from the company of men. That is the big lesson to be learned in this lifetime. The lesson is as simple as, how to get along with each other. Pretty basic and pretty simple in thought, but not so in practice. There are a few obstacles to that ideal. Those obstacles are in our minds and coming to terms with them isn't an easy undertaking. We need to pray to our God, whomever it is to you, for guidance.
I live here in Greensboro, a town of not much more than two thousand or so. The grocery store I work at is the only grocery in town. One would expect the shoppers would be familiar, if only casually, with each other but that doesn't seem to be the case. I would say with those under the age of forty I see little interaction with one another. The older set I see a different picture entirely. With that group I see hello's being exchanged and friendly banter about the weather and such. That group is social. The younger crowd are usually on their electronic devices or what I call power shopping. Power shopping is full speed ahead, do not look left or right, get what you want and get out as quickly as possible. If you must push,shove or brush others aside, so be it. Some seem to have put on some form of " urban armor " in a defensive mode. They are unaware of anyone around them, just fully focused on the task at hand and anxious for a retreat.
It is a subject I speak of frequently, community. I do think we are lacking in community these days. I can only speak about Greensboro with first hand knowledge, but I do think Greensboro is a slice of America. Yes, it is a rural slice of the pie but a piece nonetheless. Few of us know our neighbors anymore and that causes us to react to them in an impersonal way. Reactions are different between those on a personal level with those that are not. That I think can not be disputed. Churches used to be the glue of the community. Sadly I feel the Church has lost some of that adhesion. I must say I have no answer for that but there must be one. I would like to see efforts made to reestablish that community. A singleness of purpose is what is required. A single goal. What is your goal in life ? That question should give pause. I'm still thinking about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment